1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

... and to SJ.com I mistakenly look for advice

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by wheateater, Nov 2, 2010.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I'd probably go to D.C. One thing about there is that most people are from somewhere else. You'll have people from your home state/region/city all living around you and that isn't a horrible thing.

Plus, D.C. is an attractive place to visit so you'll have relatives who'll come to you and that isn't a horrible thing either.

Yep, it is expensive but you'll get some good experiences and if you're doing political work now, going to D.C. can be seen as a validation and could lead to more and better work for you.

So while it will cost real money in the short term, if you take a longer view it could mean much more opportunities down the line.

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I think many sections of D.C. qualify as serious ass-kicking territory.

3. swenk

swenk Member

At 22, unattached and employed, take advantage of your complete freedom and see the world. At some point, you're going to have other factors in your life that might hinder your ability to live wherever you want.

The college buddies are great, but college is over. Your friends and family will still be there, but the opportunity to grow your career (and your income) seems so much greater in a place like DC. Especially if you have clients in politics.

Good luck!

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Jee-SUS does not pitch in OKC. Or Tulsa.

Or DC for that matter, at least in 2011. But he'll be backkkkkk. And you'll want to be there.

Plus Alex Ovechkin throws really cool parties.

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Whatever you do, though, do not move in next door to Dino Ciccarelli.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

AP has an opening in Kabul

7. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

As a fellow OU alum now working in Tulsa, my advice is move to DC. Sure, you'll miss friends, and seeing family will be a bitch, but as others have said, you're only young once. I stayed in Oklahoma right out of college, but I was getting married and had a kid, so I had ties a lot stronger than hanging with my buddies. I don't regret it for a second because I love my wife and have two awesome kids, but if I was in your shoes, a recent grad with no binding ties to the state and a career in politics (something I almost went into as well), I'd sure as hell be going to DC.

8. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

You have not lived until you've seen the Capitol Building against a purple sky dawn, jogged from the Kennedy Center to the Washington monument, and eaten a picnic lunch under cherry blossoms after meandering through the museums-- for free!

It's one of the most inspiring cities in the world.

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Sounds idyllic.
    Except for the jogging.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You need to jog to keep ahead of the muggers and lobbyists.

Seriously, I think Washington is a great place. Especially if you can do without a car. Most of the griping I hear is folks who get stationed at the Pentagon and hate the commute.

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

If I can replace 'jogging' with 'lunch at Ben's Chili Bowl' I would be more comfortable.

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Just don't get married in DC and have kids there.

Always be an easy plane flight or a 1/2 day drive from the ones that brought you up.

Draft saved Draft deleted