1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

... and to SJ.com I mistakenly look for advice

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by wheateater, Nov 2, 2010.

1. wheateater

wheateater Member

After almost 19 days logged in to this site, I should know better than to come here for life advice. But I'm feeling lucky!

Here's the situation - I'm 22 years old, graduated from Boomer Sooner U. earlier this year, miraculously convinced an employer I was worthy of a paycheck and am now living in Tulsa. My hot streak continued and now, after five months on the job, they're confused enough to promote me. The deal is, the new gig won't change no matter where I work, and they're giving me a few weeks to let them know what my choice is. The options are Tulsa, OKC, and Washington D.C.

The rundown:

Tulsa - Out. Period. My office here just isn't the environment I'm looking for.

OKC - As a Boomer Sooner alum, I have many friends working or going to school in the area. It would be a ton of fun to get to live the post-grad life with some of my best friends, and the cost of living is about as cheap as it gets.

DC - The positives are so obvious I won't bother to list them. Cons: Cost of living is easily twice Oklahoma, my friends and family are now a $500+ plane trip away.

I'm leaning toward D.C. for the aforementioned obvious reasons, but it's going to be a tough choice. Help me, SJ!

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Maybe you should list the obvious reasons, just so we know what is important to you. That might help.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Well, I thought Tulsa was quite lovely when I've been there a few times. Loved that park along the river.

Go to D.C. Find a cheap apartment (D.C. terms, not Oklahoma terms) near some good bars. I like the neighborhood near Wisconsin Ave, Northwest. Consider a suburb near a Metro stop. Bust your tail at work, spend your time off hitting on Georgetown or Gee Dub students. Soak in the museums. Spend a summer day lounging on the National Mall. Spend at least two years there.

4. wheateater

wheateater Member

Well, shoot. I was banking on some east coast bias!

D.C. positives -- Allure of the nation's capital. The amenities of the big city - bars, restaurants, sports, museums, people. Rich history. Proximity to Baltimore/Philly/NYC. The Nationals.

My job is creative but for a political client, so I feel like being in D.C. can't help but serve to inspire a bit, too.

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I like DC plenty, and if I were young like you, it would be a helluva draw.

But as I'm getting older, I'm realizing the joy of low cost of living and having friends nearby. Also, the ease of seeing my family trumps everything else.

You're young. Do DC, as long as it's doable. Then, when you get old and crotchety like me, you can get back closer to the family and friends. Plus, think how awesome it will be to impress the hell out of all of them when they come visit and you know all the ins and outs. :)

Good luck, and congrats on the promotion.

6. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

What's a promotion?

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Oh, I understand what is attractive about DC. I just thought it would be helpful to see what you find attractive about it.

Personally, I'd stay close to home and enjoy the low cost of living and the proximity of family and friends. And I'd have done the same thing at your age. But I acted old and crotchety even when I was young.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Stop saying "Boomer Sooner" you sound like a moron.

Move to DC. :)

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I vote D.C.

10. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Don't underestimate how homesick or left out you might feel when your buddies are calling you from Bricktown while celebrating a big OU win or the Thunder winning a playoff series. That said, you should probably give D.C. a try while you are young and have options.

I'm a Midwesterner living on the East Coast, and I'm generally happy. But it can be tough missing Christmas at home because you don't have the time or money to get back or when I know all my college roommate are getting together for the weekend and I'm going to be 1,200 miles away.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Move to DC. You should live in Anacostia and put your OU flag on your door. You will be very popular.

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Ask yourself two questions:

1. If I go to DC, can I still save 15% of my income for retirement?

2. If I go to D.C. and save 15% for retirement, can I still LIVE there . . . as opposed to just existing there (or just existing in a more-affordable suburb many miles away).

If the answer to either question is no, then forget it.

DC will always be here. You have only once chance to start putting money away in your 20s so at some point you will have $1 million-plus in the bank and can live anywhere you want.

Draft saved Draft deleted