1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

And, to cap it off, you're fired

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by WBarnhouse, Aug 16, 2010.

1. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Clay Travis had a nice column this morning. This is more evidence that every school in the SEC, save for Vandy, should be given the death penalty.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If they are going to start firing media folks for wearing team gear to practices and games, they should start with the folks who wear the home team's gear.

3. Nailed it.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Headbutt, you are killing me! Appreciate the props, deliver the link!

http://ncaafootball.fanhouse.com/2010/08/17/arkansas-and-bobby-petrino-call-hogs-on-now-unemployed-radio-rep/

5. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

"Your dirtbag coach hasn't even been good enough to become somebody else's dirtbag coach."

Awesome.

6. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

"Where she belongs" is because she has said she wanted to move to Florida because her family is there and loves Gators football and would rather be covering Fla. I wasn't voting to run her out of state.

The firing was harsh and a big surprise it blew up like that. But yeah she was stupid to do it and I don't believe she did it on accident like she says. She also sent Twitter messages about practice which the school had banned apparently, another (bigger) reason she got canned.

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

The radio station is claiming she was fired for violating the school's "no tweeting during practice" policy?

That's some serious sucking up to the school the station owner is doing. A suspension would have been enough for violating the school's rule.

8. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

She told Dan Patrick she was fired because the school called her boss and said she was no longer welcome at practices.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/danpatrick/blog/124361/index.html?eref=twitter_feed

I didn't listen to the audio clip but that's a rather interesting twist.

9. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

I live in Fayetteville, AR, so it has been interesting to see both the local and national response to the story. I'm not surprised, but a bit interested in why a lot of stories are making Petrino a villain in this situation. I know he's done plenty to make himself an easy target, but I have to think a vast majority of head football coaches would have a similar reaction.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Petrino is a surly sort whose stock of goodwill with the media is at zero when he's not winning.

It seems he is the one who mentioned the hat in the presser, so it starts with him.

I also have to think that he could have used his influence to make the scaredy cats at the radio station reconsider firing her if he was so inclined.

So if some of the negativity from this mess rubs off on him, then Petrino has earned it.

11. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

I noticed this on a local blog entry by Jim Harris:

http://www.arkansassports360.com/19407/jims-notebook-what-we-learned-this-weekend-wrong-hats-wrong-team-wrong-sand

12. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

The interesting thing, if you watch the clip, is that he answered the question pretty thoroughly. He seemed a little put off by the hat obviously, but not a ton. I thought he handled it pretty well. A lot of coaches, and maybe rightfully so, would have been bigger D-bags. Maybe he just thought it was a good reason to get out of the presser early.

Draft saved Draft deleted