1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

And THIS is what you should do with morons on the field

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by markvid, May 30, 2008.

1. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Did you see the posts on that page? Surprisingly, they were anti-women-with-guns.

2. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Youtube comments make me fear for the future. You can't even find a single comment that's literate, and some of them are freakin' scary.

I've always wanted to do a story about what happens after you run on the field. I don't think most people realize that it's a night in jail, minimum, that they're charged with criminal trespass and have to spend a fortune defending themselves. I think most people think you get a ticket and go on your merry way. You could probably compile some great stories of regret.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

mrs. petty can shoot my .357 better than i can. and that scares me just a little bit.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Down toward the end of this story is a reference to Curtis's blasting of Donald Ennis, then 30 (he'd be 66 now, if still alive):

http://www.patsfans.com/bob/display_story.php?story_id=2850

George Plimpton's "Mad Ducks and Bears" has a much longer passage -- Plimpton tracked down Ennis a couple years later to find out what had happened.

As a result of the incident, Ennis was hospitalized for a fairly significant stretch due to back injuries, lost his job as a result, and his marriage broke up ("it might have been the final straw"), and drifted from town to town. He was periodically tracked down by writers, and didn't want to talk much about it.

At the end, Ennis says something to Plimpton on the order of, "Maybe you think it would be fun to go down there on the field again, but I couldn't do anything like that again, not ever."

Good. It's called deterrence. That was back in the days before Monica Seles, Rebecca Schaffer and John Lennon.

5. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

6. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

That's what we used to call a slobber knocker.

7. ArnoldBabar

Has nothing to do with anything, but I just want to say that column Starman linked is unfathomably horrible.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i really hate to be a stickler, but technically, doesn't your post have something to do with the column starman linked?

9. ArnoldBabar

Thank god we have you around here, Tomas.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

just sayin'.

11. ArnoldBabar

Seriously, Mrs. P has access to your .357 and you have never inspired her to use it? That's the upset of the year right there.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

you know, i've never worried about that, but now that you mention it, i'm guessing there's been a few nights she's played russian roulette while my ass lay sleeping.

Draft saved Draft deleted