1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

And they come with extra-long laces so you can hang yourself...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TigerVols, Jun 8, 2007.

1. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

God, I wondered what this thread was about. Nice. Who are the ad geniuses who come up with this stuff?

Shoestrings, shoestrings will tear mehead apart...again. [Ian curtis singing]

24 Hour Party People was a fantastic movie.

2. great post

i think Mojo (or was it Q?) devoted an issue a year or two ago to looking back at the Manchester scene. terrific stuff

3. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Happy Mondays, by the way, quite possibly got the name from a particular bread company (I don't know the name) that during the 60s at least would prove the freshness of its bread by wrapping the loaves in wrappers that said "Happy Monday" or "Happy Tuesday" or whatever the day of the week was.

I know this because my father has repeatedly told me the story of a friend of his whose job was to, after the store closed, take off the Happy Monday wrapper and replace it with a Happy Tuesday wrapper.

(OK, the band says it was taken from "Blue Monday," by New Order, but I don't have to believe that.)

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

And in turn, many believe Oasis (which I remember seeing in some club in Manchester in 1992) got the name of their band from the title of a Happy Mondays song. That isn't what Wikipedia says, but consider the source ....

Draft saved Draft deleted