1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

And the Oscar goes to...(nominations released)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rumpleforeskin, Feb 2, 2010.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

And just when I thought I couldn't POSSIBLY adore you more than I do...you go and do this. The only redeeming thing was I got it from Redbox, so it only cost me $1.06.

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I'll see 'Hurt Locker' before the awards are announced. I probably won't get to see the others I plan to see in time.
    I'm not going to see 'Up,' and I'm certinaly not going to watch 'The Blind Side.'
    I might eventually cave on 'Avatar,' but it'll probably be small screen sans 3D, thus stripping away the bells and whistles, exposing what I expect is a nonexistent script and a typical Cameron sophomoric, ham-fisted attempt at story-telling.

3. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

thank you

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  4. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

The only thing I've liked of Cameron's is Aquaman.

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

True Lies, which was a riot, was his. And Aliens is probably the best movie in that franchise.

6. Bullock is absolutely worthy of it for Blind Side. She was outstanding. I don't buy the "she's not that level of actress" because that's basing the award on her career more than her performance. Before Tom Hanks did Philadelphia, do you think people wanted to not give him the award because "he's not that level of actor" because he did garbage up to the point (save Big)?

And clearly we have different tastes in acting because Farmiga is an awful, awful actress. She nearly ruined The Departed for me. She was better in Up in the Air but she's about as wooden as it gets in my mind. Kendrick was much better to me but neither stand a chance against the girl from Precious.

7. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

Bullock wasn't terrible in "The Blind Side," but I never thought for once she was portraying anything like a real southern woman - more like a charicature of one. A lot of that was the (terrible) accent and far-too-sassy delivery. A ton of it was the (terrible, schmaltzy) script.

The underlying story is good. The movie Disneyfied it more than Disney would.

8. Double J

Double J Active Member

I thought Bullock was from and still has significant ties to the South. Is Bullock's accent and delivery really all that exaggerated? Serious question, because I've never heard the real Leigh Anne Tuohy speak.

I guess I'm curious whether Sandra Bullock as Leigh Anne Tuohy is as believable as Julia Roberts' portayal of Erin Brockovich. Maybe she's even more believable.

9. DCaraviello

DCaraviello Member

Did someone actually just say that "Aliens" was the best movie in that franchise? Which included, of course, "Alien"?

10. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

Haven't seen Erin Brockovich, so I can't compare.

Tuohy has a noticable accent, but Bullock really overplays it (particularly in the dramatic scenes or when she's delivery a "sassy" line). The delivery was very over-the-top as well, but a lot of that could have been the script.

There's only so many ways a good ol' southern gal can show the well-meaning but misguded men she knows best. </blue>

To me, it was just very charicature, as was the whole film. Nice true story but absolutely lacking in depth from the actors or script.

11. ETN814

ETN814 Member

That was pretty much my take on it. The visual effects were great, but take that away and what's left? It just didn't do much for me. It seems I'm in the minority here, because everyone seems to love it, but I thought the story was shallow and predictable.

12. Double J

Double J Active Member

:)

Draft saved Draft deleted