1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

And the Oscar goes to...(nominations released)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rumpleforeskin, Feb 2, 2010.

1. DCaraviello

DCaraviello Member

I don't think it's a weak year for films at all. It's just that the Academy, by expanding the Best Picture category from 5 to 10 in an attempt to include more "popular" films, has watered everything down. Under last year's criteria, you'd likely have Avatar, The Hurt Locker, Inglroious Basterds, Up in the Air, and either Precious or A Serious Man. Although I haven't seen Avatar -- can't yet bring myself to sit through three hours of blue cartoon people -- that's a damn fine field.

I'm rooting hard for The Hurt Locker. As much as I loved Basterds and as much as I could relate to Up in the Air, Hurt Locker was the only one that had me absolutely galvanized to the screen the whole time. Tremendous film.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I liked Hurt Locker and I thought it gave a good representation of what it's like in Iraq for some of our troops but it seemed like the characters were fairly one-dimensional.

Soldiers banter and bullshit all the time but since they didn't show hardly any down time, I felt like you didn't really get to know these guys.

So you are left with, "guys who want to do their jobs and go home" and "guy who likes the rush."

3. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

I, too, hated Up. While I did enjoy the opening scene/wife montage, it was all downhill from there. I took my kids to see it and we were bored almost to tears. The 3D was lacking too.

I've seen 6 of the 10 nominees. Still need to see Precious. I liked Up in the Air better than The Hurt Locker, but I think HL has a better shot at winning.

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

“Avatar” - I really have no interest in this movie.
    “The Blind Side” - Looks like schmaltz.
    “District 9” - Didn't do much for me.
    “An Education” - Haven't seen it.
    “The Hurt Locker” - In the Netflix queu.
    “Inglourious Basterds” - Enjoyed it. Didn't think it was best-picture worthy.
    “Precious: Based on the Novel ‘Push’ by Sapphire” - The inclusion of the novel and author in the title is silly. GF saw. I haven't
    “A Serious Man” - Haven't seen it.
    “Up” - Don't have kids. Don't usually watch cartoons.
    “Up in the Air” - Haven't seen it.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Thanks for the insight, Buckster.

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

So going by Buck, the best picture award is vacated this year

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

It's all up to the Netflix queue.

8. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Hmmmm... Interesting.

9. shockey

shockey Active Member

nice bill murray impression, buck. thanks for playing. ;) 8) :D

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

2009 was a busy year. I didn't get to the movies as much as I usually do.

11. shockey

shockey Active Member

no explanations necessary. i don't get out to movie at all, so i'm a blank slate myself.

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

But even if he gets Hurt Locker in time, he might not like it or might think it's not best picture-worthy

Draft saved Draft deleted