1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

And the Oscar goes to...(nominations released)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rumpleforeskin, Feb 2, 2010.

1. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

The guy was a crotchety bastard because he lost the love of his life. And if you think he was an asshole for not doing it while she was alive, you missed the point of the whole opening of the movie.

They wanted to go. Even started to save money for it. Then life happened. And again. And again. And again.

She lost a child and was unable to have any. When she was gone, of course he was upset. I would be too.

But maybe that's just me.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I got the point. But I didn't like it. I liked her. Wish she hadn't died. He was a douche.

3. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

He had to be a douche because it underscores the redemptive power of dreams and of love's ability to effect change even after death, which is unrefined hokum that can only tolerably exist in animation. If he was a nice guy, it wouldn't have had the same impact.

The kid didn't have to be such a butt-sniffer, but most kids in modern animation either are mentally invalid or need to be smacked in the face with a brick for their doucheness. Or they're Tim Tebow, Age 12.

4. John

John Well-Known Member

Basterds is the only nominated movie (in any category) that I saw. Therefore I think it should win everything.

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

No, but first time in many, many years.

6. Double J

Double J Active Member

Thank heavens. Over-rated (clap, clap, clap-clap-clap) and played out.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I finally saw it on DVD. I was surprised it wasn't as raunchy as I expected and also not nearly as funny.

Though I hear the unrated version was better.

8. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

One of my all-time favorites.

9. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

I hope you at least teared up just a tad. Jeez.

10. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I teared up at wasting the last hour when I should have turned it off.

11. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

You're hopeless.

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Streep is the best hope of denying Bullock the best actress nod. I just don't think she's that level of an actress, and hasn't had the game-changing turn that Theron had in Monster. And Streep's performance in Julie and Julia was certainly worthy.

And in best supporting actress, Kendrick's performance paled in comparison to Farmiga, whose revelation at the end was utterly shocking in that she gave not the slightest clue through out. Unfortunately, she will be hurt by vote-splitting.

Draft saved Draft deleted