1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

And the Oscar goes to...(nominations released)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rumpleforeskin, Feb 2, 2010.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

God, how I hated Up. So very very very much.

(Sorry Uncle Mickey!)

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Two more than me.

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Isn't Up the cartoon movie? Yeah, I'll pass.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Well, at least give us your review on Precious, Sonner.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I'll pass on that, too.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  6. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Not to be judgmental, but Up was awesome and anyone who didn't find him/herself bowled over in that opening scene is ruled by Satan and should be segregated from those of us who still have our souls.

7. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I've seen 7 of the Best Picture nominees. I was hoping to not have to see "Lovely Bones," "Invictus" or "Nine," but since I like to see all the films in the major categories, I guess I will.

8. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Based on that list, this was a pretty weak year overall.

I will say, though, that I don't see how Waltz doesn't win best supporting actor. In what was otherwise a good, but not great movie, Waltz was out of this world.

Up was very good, but not on the same level as Wall-E when it comes to Pixar movies of a recent vintage.

9. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

I was really underwhelmed by "Up In The Air" and "An Education."

"A Simple Man," otoh, blew my doors off. Roger Ebert called it "the type of movie you get to make after you've won best picture."

All that said, I'd love for "Basterds" to win, although it's probably a race between "Avatar" and "Hurt Locker." On a more personal note, Ms. Bigelow's one of the tallest women I've ever met. Couuuuuugah!

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Since when are there 10 nominations for Best Picture? Is that new?

11. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I just don't know when we decided cartoons should look grotesque, with completely unlikeable characters and some dark, twisted plot point. Lilo and Stitch was about an orphaned girl being ripped away from her family. Up was about a crotchety bastard of a man, a COMPLETELY unlikeable kid, who were chasing some impossible dream because he was too much of an asshole to do it while his wife was alive to do it with him.

12. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I think Avatar should win for best picture, its a game changer.

In the process of watching "Basterds" (on DVR and am 2/3 through, hilarious and definitely Tarentino-ish just like others are Mamet-ish. Enjoying it but I'm thinking too edgy for the Academy.

Have not see Hurt Locker but want to.

Loved District 9, a multi-themed movie with more acts than I envisioned, which I find rare.

This concept of "weak" field, it seems that more often than not that's what is said.

Draft saved Draft deleted