1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

And the Oscar for Best Actor goes to ... Mickey Rourke?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Simon_Cowbell, Sep 8, 2008.

1. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I love Mickey Rourke and am really looking forward to The Wrestler. It pains me to see what he's done to his face, though, so I am hoping I can put my horror over the bad plastic surgery aside.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It will never happen, but I'd love to see Tropic Thunder get a couple acting nominations.

3. Oscar buzz in November.
    This is a great place.

4. Mizzougrad96

Well, between now and Xmas is when the bulk of the eventual winners will come out.

5. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

I loved that flick.

Downey as a best support would be a hoot.

6. Mizzougrad96

I actually just saw it...

Loved it. Downey would be deserving. Cruise would be a darkhorse.

7. Simon_Cowbell

Cruise was a revelation.

The hairy arms and the hip hop dancing was worth the ticket alone.

8. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

All the reviews for this movie are amazing and I want to see it, but the scenes where Rourke takes some nasty wrestling shit (like getting staple-gunned) are the type of scenes that creep me out.

9. Mizzougrad96

Cruise's best performance since Magnolia.

I still don't know why I missed Tropic Thunder when it was in theaters, but it is the funniest movie of the year by far.

10. Simon_Cowbell

Agreed.

11. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I was actually coming on the site today to talk about Tropic Thunder after seeing it yesterday and to throw some love toward Downey. He really deserves at least a nomination. If they never told you it was Robert Downey, you probably would have watched it thinking, "Damn, this guy looks familiar, what else has he been in?" He was superb.

And Cruise really stole the show. Absolutely hysterical.

This was one I wanted to see in theaters but somehow didn't find time for. I bought it the other day and it was worth every penny. Funny, funny movie (funniest of the year, but I won't say it was far better than Forgetting Sarah Marshall, which I also loved.)

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Tropic Thunder > Dark Knight

Draft saved Draft deleted