1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

And the fattest state in the U.S. is...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ServeItUp, Jul 1, 2009.

1. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Whatever. I drove into the state only a few hundred yards once just to say I'd been there and even the roadkill was fat.

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

All that is true. Still, Mississippi is a shit hole. Ain't no getting around it.

3. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Yeah if people think eating heathy means you have to go to Whole Foods or Trader Joes. But if you are smart you can eat healthy for less money. Just drinking water instead of soda and fruit juices is more healthy. It doesn't have to be Evian, generic spring water is cheaper than soda. For snacks soy beans are as cheap or cheaper than most chips and cookies. I think it's more that it takes time and a little knowledge to eat healthy and people aren't used to it and it may not be as convenient.

4. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

Just avoid I-10.

And Oxford's nice. Biloxi was nice. The rest areas I stopped at on the way to New Orleans didn't seem too bad. I stayed at a Motel 6 in Jackson once on a drive up to Memphis. No complaints.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  5. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

There's enormous opulence in parts of Oxford. Mayberry, it's not.

Walk around campus on a hot August morning and tell me how many biguns in Daisy Duke shorts you come across. If that isn't the picture of health, vibrancy and sexual electricity, I don't know what is.

6. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Ryan, I think both Bottom Dollar and Bloom are owned by Food Lion.

7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I thought so. We've loaded up on groceries for an entire week on $55-60 at BD. Same grocery list would cost $85-100 at Bloom. Only thing about BD is that you bag your own groceries, but the bags are only like 5 cents, and there are cardboard boxes for free. This past week, we needed only a small box and two plastic bags. It's worth the hassle. Between the two, Bloom has better fish and meat selections.

8. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

I used to eat ramen noodles by the truckload, me and my daughter, especially as late-night snack food.

Then I had bypass surgery, got on a low-sodium diet, where I read every label I encounter for the sodium content, and discovered that the amount of salt in ramen is off the charts. Don't eat ramen any more, along with a lot of other stuff I used to love.

9. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

Yes there's are beautiful women at Ole Miss.

Sadly it's but a small exception to the rest of the state...which is pretty much Mayberry.

10. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Was the salt in the ramen or the flavor packets?

I've always avoided using the packets as that seems aking to mainlining MSG. Add a splash of olive oil and a little garlic (powder, not salt) and it's dinner time.

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Amen to that. I also mix in some veggies such as peas and (when I think to pick some up at the store) shredded mozzarella.

12. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

Well said !

I went on two hikes just this past week: Hanging Lake and Mohawk Lake !

Draft saved Draft deleted