1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

And the fattest state in the U.S. is...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ServeItUp, Jul 1, 2009.

1. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Mississippi, with Alabama moseying on its heels. Colorado still the fittest. And there's that pesky effect on the economy...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090701/ap_on_he_me/us_med_obesity_rankings

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Hmmm, I'd have guessed Texas. Southerners and all that fried food and heat that makes exercise difficult.

3. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Doesn't Mississippi also rank lowest in education?

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son Mississippi.

4. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

In Mississippi's defense, that state is third in PBR consumption.

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Mississippi also has the largest percentage of poor blacks in the country, a group that is among the highest at-risk for obesity.

6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Excellent!

7. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

High level of church attendence too, right? For some reason that's a risk factor too, all the potlucks, I guess.

8. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

People often feel the need to go out after church -- a reward of sorts. They tend to go out to eat.

9. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

Some of these things have a lot to do with topography.

Colorado is a state made for being fit and doing a lot of things outdoors from rock climbing to hiking through the national parks, etc. etc. I feel empowered to do something active when I'm there much like I feel empowered to walk everywhere when I'm in New York City.

Mississippi is underdeveloped in a multitude of areas and just doesn't have the sort of landscape that would make you want to exercise. Flat as pancake and hotter than hell. No excuse for obesity but health just isn't a concern there

10. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

After I eat too much, I sometimes feel like taking a dump.

11. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I celebrated by eating a deep-fried chicken on a stick.

I actually think the Mississippi/Alabama competition is largely decided by which side of the border I'm on in a given day.

12. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

My girl was in business in Dallas during the state fair and she was amazed at what people in the south would make (and eat) that was fried.

Draft saved Draft deleted