1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

And the award for the worst occupation of 2015 goes to ....

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Baron Scicluna, Apr 15, 2015.

1. Mauve_Avenger

Mauve_Avenger Member

Not to mention the "opportunity to meet so many wonderful people in the community." - Me at job interviews.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Screw that, you get to see games for free. Should be a top 10 job.

3. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

I don't think hot dogs, baked beans and warm bottled water is that big of a treat.

4. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Yeah, if you're into crazy things like money or decent hours or job security...

5. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

These rankings need to be changed to account for "multimedia journalists," which is what most of the newspapers in my state now call their reporters.

SFIND likes this.
  6. MNgremlin

MNgremlin Active Member

You knew about those things when you signed up. It's not like this was some drastic shift over the last five to ten years.

7. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Well, if you just signed up, that's true. For those of us who got in during the 1990s that wasn't the case.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

LOL. I hope for your sake you're trolling and you aren't actually this stupid.

9. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

I think it truly is the worst job a person can have and should be last on the list. I won't go through all the reasons. To summarize, most writers I know at our place work 60-70 hours a week and get paid for 40 with no annual raises and two week furloughs, one every six months. Companies should have to pay for work rendered. Also reporters here are put in the cheapest hotels and cheapest rental cars and on the most inexpensive flights even if it means they fly out at 6 a.m. and have connections. It's just kind of a low-class occupation.

10. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

You might want to scroll down further and see the tons of comments. Also, the original article has comments below it, too.

11. Baron Scicluna

I'm referring to the Yahoo "articles" which talk about how if you just go back to school, especially those online ones, you too can get a great career like the beautiful people in the photos.

12. Baron Scicluna

It's been said to you before. Walk out after 40 hours. Call the labor department.

Draft saved Draft deleted