1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

And the all-time favorite show theme song is.....

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by dog eat dog world, Apr 12, 2013.

1. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

As far as a theme song & lyrics that establishes a distinct tone along with imagery on screen, I love True Blood's intro.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Eerie how close Southland and the Mad Men themes are.

http://video.search.yahoo.com/video/play;_ylt=A0S00M2e72hR82sAmrD7w8QF;_ylu=X3oDMTBrc3VyamVwBHNlYwNzcgRzbGsDdmlkBHZ0aWQD?p=Southland+theme&vid=547288114962a938c1996b964e86aa89&l=00%3A33&turl=http%3A%2F%2Fts4.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DV.4690685085745759%26pid%3D15.1&rurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DpBFFZ9CS8cc&tit=Southland+-+Opening+credits+%2F+Theme&c=0&sigr=11ake5r2a&age=0&&tt=b

3. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Dug Taxi, bought the Bob James album.
    For all you oldsters out there: Peter Gunn

4. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Probably aging myself, but when I was a kid, I always liked the theme to "Baretta."

"... if you can't do the time, then don't do the crime ... yeah ... don't do it. and keep your eyyyyyye on the sparrow"

5. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Speaking of the Gilligan's Island theme, try this:

Sing the hymn "Amazing Grace," only sing it to the tune of "Gilligan's Island."

"Amazing grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me"

Now try to sing it the old-fashioned way. It's tough.

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Folks from the '80s should remember the Peter Gunn version by Art of Noise, I think it was.

7. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Never heard of that, not bad.

8. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Every time I hear the closing theme to "How I Met Your Mother," I'm strongly reminded of Elvis Costello's "Oliver's Army."

Deserving a mention (I may have missed them in the thread): Sopranos, (Warning: going old school now) Odd Couple, Alfred Hitchcock, Combat, and, Spider-Man ("Is he strong. Listen, bud: He's got radioactive blood") and, just for the ability to stick in your head, Petticoat Junction.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Another underrated one
    Wild Wild West (copied by John Williams for Raiders of the Lost Ark?)

10. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Cannot fathom how "Welcome Back, Kotter" didn't even make the bracket. Glad to see it getting some love here.

11. misterbc

misterbc Well-Known Member

The Tonight Show....starring Johnny Carson should join the list of instrumental classics.
    Always loved Bugs Bunny theme.
    The Drew Carey Show opened with Cleveland Rocks. Great tune.

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I liked the season when Drew Carey opened with Five O'Clock World.

Draft saved Draft deleted