1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

And that'll be all for Prince Philip behind the wheel

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by CD Boogie, Jan 17, 2019.

1. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Or should be.

Prince Philip car crash: Duke of Edinburgh 'shaken' after collision | Daily Mail Online

My grandfather was driving when he was 96. He was even mowing the lawn and was very able-bodied. But that's the exception. I know Prince Philip is a man's man and probably prides himself on not letting some plebe drive him around. But he could have killed himself and others, including the security guard assigned to him.

I'm not for age limits on drivers, but I do think they should be re-tested regularly -- particularly when they're in their late 90s. That's just common sense, as people's physical and mental acuity fades.

2. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Just give him a self-driving vehicle and tell him he's actually steering, like a kid at Disney with one of those cars that has the rail in the middle so you can't steer off the path.

exmediahack and Chef2 like this.
  3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

My dad will be 92 in May and still drives when he has to, thought he now admits he dreads it.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
  4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Duke of Edinburgh isn't the King of the Road, eh?

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

My grandmother lived to 99; she still drove, very occasionally, until 90. Never had an accident in her life.

Her daughter, my aunt, is 82 and is fine driving in the daytime; I've ridden with her and she's still on the ball. But she's told my cousins she thinks about two or three more years will be it.

She's on the board of directors of a hospital so she can have vision checkups, etc etc, every week if she wants.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Royal jewels for sale or rent
    Castles to lease for fifty pence
    Royal food, royal pool, Royal pets
    He even has Royal cigarettes

Ah, but two years of Brexit votes
    He'll be riding old fishing boats
    He might just end up herding goats
    A king of the road.

7. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

That's just excellent.

8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Well what do you expect, he was driving on the road side of the road.

CD Boogie likes this.
  9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

"Aw, there's Buckingham Palace, kids. That's where the que- . . . uh, we live."

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
    Baron Scicluna likes this.
  10. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I remember once interviewing an old-time ball player named Claude Passeau when he was doing a meet-and-greet at a local bank. He was 90 or 91 at the time.

He couldn’t hear or see very well, but he was great once you got him going. He talked about pitching a 1-hitter for the Cubs in the 1945 World Series, and how much everyone in baseball hated Eddie Stanky, who was a local icon who had recently died.

When the event was over, we both walked outside. I fully expected his son or grandson or whomever to drive him home. But he got in his truck and took off down the road.

I remember how amazing I thought that was, but at the same time being glad I was headed in the opposite direction.

12. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I believe he also gave up a walkoff HR to Ted Williams in an all-star game.

Steak Snabler likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted