1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

And so it starts...free food cut from Mizzou pressbox

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Diabeetus, Aug 31, 2009.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Can't argue that, Mizzougrad. As you said earlier, the St. Pete Times was a lone wolf for years in paying for meals. And I know it liked to be able to say it did.

2. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Do we know for sure these press boxes are going to allow outside food/drink? Or will it be "pay $6 for a box lunch or starve for 10 hours"? Because I've worked in venues with the latter option, and it sucks.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

The L.A. Times for many years has had their reporters pay for food.

4. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I don't disagree with papers that have a policy requiring reporters to skip the free food, but what about going forward?

What happens when the Local Suburban Press suddenly has a bill of $315 ($7.50 x reporter/columnist/photog x 14 events) at the end of the season that they didn't have last year? I know several papers where the SE/ME/publisher would pitch a fit from a budget standpoint.

Not every paper is as professional as the LA Times or St. Pete, they would assume it's the reporter's responsibility to find food.

"Can't you just run out to Taco Bell at halftime?" You know someone would say that.

5. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I've been in this business for going on 16 years and have covered everything from local tiddlywinks to international events. I've never seen anyone in any press box any where turn down free food. I'm not saying there aren't those who do, and I'm sure there are. I've just never personally met one.

When I'm going on an expense account trip it's usually with the question, "They'll feed you at the game/tournament, right?"

6. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

I have never turned down free food on ethical grounds (sometimes did because it didn't look appetizing or healthy). I've also never complained when free food was not offered.

7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I've never been to a press box where outside food wasn't allowed.

When I'm on the road for football, I generally eat before I get to the game.

Unless I ever go to Toledo again. That place had the most awesome food spread known to man for a MAC game. The tiramisu was dreamy.

8. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

It soon will be, when football returns to the days of praying for eight or nine wins.

9. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Western Michigan has BBQ ribs and chicken, brought in by Damon's.

Michigan State's pregame spread has always been raved about, especially the sundaes. Corso has talked on air about them.

Not sure if either school still does them.

10. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I haven't had ribs from Damon's in a while. Soooo good.

A playoff game I covered at Furman a few years ago featured ribs and BBQ sammiches from Sticky Fingers. Never heard of the place until I got into Greensville the night before. Ate dinner there. Loved it. Was very happy to see it on the press box menu the next day.

11. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Former paper of mine would get credentials for ND, Western, Michigan and Michigan State.
    While the staff would scramble to get the good ND, Michigan and State games, I'd stay back and get the Western games (for more reasons than just the ribs, since I'm a MAC follower).

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  12. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

WMU has nothing on Toledo. Trust me on this. One of the best spreads I've ever seen at any Division I game, possibly because it was for the university high rollers and they had the media eat that spread.

Draft saved Draft deleted