1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

And so it starts...free food cut from Mizzou pressbox

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Diabeetus, Aug 31, 2009.

1. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

From a message to the media:

Due to budgetary concerns, we have had to make some tough cuts to our operational costs, and one of them involves meals in the press box. We will no longer be serving complimentary meals for home games. We will have box lunches available (containing your choice of ham or turkey sandwich, a side, chips and a cookie. We will still be providing complimentary soda and water in the pressbox, but the meals will cost $6.00 if ordered by Noon the Monday of game week, and they are $7.50 if ordered after that. Orders can be paid for on game day, or your company can be invoiced as well, if that is your preferred method.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Re: And so it starts...food cut from Mizzou pressbox

As long as they don't pitch a fit about outside food, who cares?
    I'd rather stop on the way in and bring a sammich at many press boxes.
    Now, if this happened at Colorado, Wisconsin or Iowa, I'd be a tad more upset. At Michigan or most MAC schools, this is what's known as trading up.

3. 21

21 Well-Known Member

What kind of cookie?

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Food isn't being cut. The FREE food is being cut. There's still food.

5. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Let me amend my title ;)

6. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

For the record, I'm not shocked or upset by it happening. I do think it most likely will be the start of a trend, though. Surprised it hasn't already happened.

7. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

In MLB press boxes, they've been charging for meals for 10 years.

8. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

So, you pay for it and expense account it. or eat before you get there. there are quite a few papers that won't let their writers eat the free food anyway.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Yeah, but for years that was the only place where that happened. Did the Dodgers and Angels ever start charging? It was years ago, but those were the only two where it was still free.

Oklahoma used to give out brown-bag lunches. It was an apple, a bologna sandwich and a bag of chips.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I don't know about "quite a few" Up until recently, I think the SP Times was the only big paper that had it as a policy. I know a few have added it in the last couple years.

11. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

Dodgers and Angels have charged for at least 10 years.

I think that it's a really bad look for anyone, in this business or any other, to complain about the lack of free food.

12. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Stunned at this...haven't eaten free food at a sporting event in ages. Can't remember the last time.

Draft saved Draft deleted