1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

And remember, death is not an option: In which AJ Daulerio judges Jay Mariotti

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Uncle.Ruckus, Jun 14, 2012.

1. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Jeez, what a mess.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Keep in mind these $1,000 columns were supposed to be about how his life had become a trainwreck and what he was doing to try to make a comeback. If he writes one of those a week, I'd think it would be a pretty good deal for Deadspin.

It's not like Daulerio was offering him $1,000 a column so he could rant about whatever was going on in sports...

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Daulerio didn't do a very good job in that article of making the case that Mariotti is the biggest asshole in media. He seemed to be make a pretty good case that Mariotti is deluded.

It's like saying you are writing an article proving that basketballs are round and spend the whole time describing what color basketballs are.

Weird.

4. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I'm embarrassed for both of them.

5. Mizzougrad96

I'm not embarrassed for Daulerio. Daulerio knows he's a douche and on some level he's embraced that because it works for him on some strange level.

Mariotti is the Michael Richards of sports columnists.

6. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

And I'm still embarrassed for both of them. :)

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I think a psychologist would have a field day with Daulerio's writing. He seems to take great offense -- and expects his readers to take great offense -- at others who act just like him.

8. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

I wonder how much of that is offense and how much of that is bemusement that someone is trying to act like him but not as good, however that work is defined in this conversation.

I admit, the Beavis + Butthead/4chan poster in me emits a few coquettish giggles at things I've read on Deadspin. Mariotti just isn't very entertaining, or if he was it was a long ass time ago.

9. Mizzougrad96

I went through a stretch early in my career where the columnists that I liked the best were all "the angry columnist" and I kind of respected them for telling it how it is. I worked with one at my first job and he would rip the shit out of someone one day and then would be there the next day and while the players or coaches might be pissed at him, they respected him for showing up.

When I found out Mariotti didn't do that, I never looked at his writing the same way...

10. turski7

turski7 Member

And Mariotti pulled the same shit too. These two deserve each other.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

No, Mariotti is the Regan McNeil of sports columnists.

[​IMG]

12. Drip

Drip Active Member

A waste of 15 minutes that I will never get back.

Draft saved Draft deleted