1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

And remember, death is not an option: In which AJ Daulerio judges Jay Mariotti

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Uncle.Ruckus, Jun 14, 2012.

1. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Moddy posted this on Facebook:

http://deadspin.com/5917795/how-to-avoid-being-the-biggest-asshole-in-media-4-lessons-i-learned-from-meeting-jay-mariotti-and-reading-his-atrocious-book

Thoughts?

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I think I'll be the first but not only person to think this: It may be a lesson for someone else to avoid being the biggest asshole in media, but it's too late for Daulerio.

3. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Moddy's on Facebook?

PEOPLE are still on Facebook?

Thought that fad died out a while ago, with that Twitter thing.

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

No. One. Wins. Here.

5. Double J

Double J Active Member

Reads like the chairman of Enron ripping J.R. Ewing.

6. 3OctaveFart

3OctaveFart Guest

Daulerio is like the pig journalist in Red Dragon that the Tooth Fairy goes after.
    Mariotti just needs a good psychiatrist.
    This guy actually thinks his TV work is entertaining.

7. i'm not sure which dude is slimier. prior to reading, i would've voted mariotti all the way, but now i'm not sure. you could probably take the same format, 4 reasons, and create an equally disenamoring profile of daulerio. here's a dude so narcissistic that he just has to respond to snubs in an e-book that only another egomaniac would bother with!! the whole thing is just so devine - these dudes are destined to work together!

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

When the meteor hits, we can only hope they are both under it.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Mixed feelings on this one...

After listening to Mariotti on Whitlock's podcast awhile back, he acted like such a victim and refused to take any responsibility for anything that happened and then he was arrested again shortly after that (maybe less than a month). If he truly believes what he was saying, and he is still guilty, he may be a borderline sociopath.

I like the comparison of Daulerio to the journalist in Red Dragon. He may be slime, but he knows he's slime and he doesn't apologize for it. I'm not saying we should stand and applaud him for that, but it might put him a notch ahead of Mariotti.

10. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

As metaphors go, I think Red Dragon's treatment of the PSH tabloid journalist was foreshadowing of the industry as a whole: writer set on fire, sent down the street tied to a wheelchair.

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Daulerio was going to pay Mariotti $1,000 per column? Deadspin's doing OK for itself.

Hadn't thought of Mariotti in a year. Hope it's another year or five until I do again.

12. gutenberg

gutenberg Guest

Anybody who offered Marriotti $1,000 per column is definitely an idiot.

Peas of a pods ... birds of a feather ... two weirdos in the wind.

Draft saved Draft deleted