1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

And people say Arkansas is backwards...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by More hideous than Ben Seaver, Aug 18, 2007.

1. Apparently now, toddlers can wed in Arkansas. This sounds like it could be a bad reality show: Kid Marriage.

http://news.aol.com/story/_a/error-in-arkansas-law-lets-toddlers-wed/20070818040909990001

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I wonder how many toddlers will court using the Houston Nutt texting plan?

"Ur diper bag is hott. Wanna share blnke b4 lunch?"

3. Rainer_Sabin

Rainer_Sabin New Member

This type of mistake is bound to happen in a part-time legislature. Unfortunately, because of the nature of the issue the law is addressing, it becomes sensationalized. What is disappointing about this boo-boo is that it reinforces the negative perception of Arkansas. There are a lot of industrious and intelligent people in this state. And I am saying this as a person who grew up in New York.

In the last 25 years, we have seen the rise of two major corporations here that are the leaders in their industries. Wal-Mart is the world's largest retailer. Tyson is the world's largest meat producer. Both have impacted the nation's economy (both positively and negatively).

We have also seen major political figures come out of the state. Obviously, Bill and Hillary Clinton come to mind. But David Pryor and Dale Bumpers, two former Arkansas senators and governors, should also be mentioned. When asked if there was a politician who could have been president had he decided to run for office, Tom Brokaw immediately said Bumpers (who was rather liberal, I might add).

There is no doubt there are some backwards folks in Arkansas. But people like that also exist in every other part of the country. New York is no exception. It would just be nice if everyone would be a little more open-minded before casting aspersions on an entire state. I never understood the regional divides that exist in this country and why Americans feel the necessity to diss other Americans. Come April 15, we all send the same tax forms to the IRS.

Draft saved Draft deleted