1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

And now Muslims champion women's rights?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by markvid, Jul 10, 2006.

1. Breakyoself

Breakyoself Member

terrorists are famous for twisting things to make them look like they are championing the victims. Hamas wants hundreds of prisoners freed for one soldier. this is nothing new, and we shouldn't be surprised. it's amazing that some still fall for it though. fucking sheep.

2. PEteacher

PEteacher Member

Come on, Bucaneer. We know that Al Qaeda saying they're trying to defend women is a stretch. And a big one.

But it's not even close a stretch -- not even in the same galaxy -- as trying to say 9/11 and Iraq are related.

3. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

Ah yes but you forgot this one.

"Among His signs is that He created for you spouses from among yourselves, in order to have tranquility and contentment with each other. He places in your heart love and care towards your spouses. In this, there are signs for people who think." (30:21)

4. Chuck~Taylor

Oh, and what your translation has about "beating the wives". It is a mistake because of the Turkish mistranslation of a word. The word in the Quran that makes people think that it means "beat them" is "Idribuhunne". I myself do speak Arabic and in the common Arabic speaking world, if some one said that to you, it would mean that you would want to hit somebody. But in the Quran, God uses this word in many different definitions. Here they are:
    To travel, to get out: 3:156; 4:101; 38:44; 73:20; 2:273

To strike: 2:60,73; 7:160; 8:12; 20:77; 24:31; 26:63; 37:93; 47:4

To beat: 8:50; 47:27

To set up: 43:58; 57:13

To give (examples): 14:24,45; 16:75,76,112; 18:32,45; 24:35; 30:28,58; 36:78; 39:27,29; 43:17; 59:21; 66:10,11

To take away, to ignore: 43:5

To condemn: 2:61

To seal, to draw over: 18:11

To cover: 24:31

To explain: 13:17

I am a Muslim. I'm not trying to preach or anything, but I don't want anybody to get the wrong idea. I'm not trying to be a douchbag or anything. I'm just trying to tell everybody the truth.

5. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

As-Salaam-Alaikum, Chuck. That's one of the most informative posts I've ever read on here. Well done!

6. dog428

dog428 Active Member

Nice posts by Chuck. Shame he wasted them on someone who will be unable to comprehend them.

It's a good thing that there's nothing in the Bible instructing women to be subservient to their men. That would really confuse our resident teenager.

7. PEteacher

PEteacher Member

AND A PERFECT EXAMPLE TO WHY IT WOULD HELP SO MUCH TO ADD DIVERSITY IN OUR NEWSROOMS

8. T2

T2 Member

The statement didn't claim revenge for a violation of a woman's rights; there's not necessarily any concern for her personal feelings.  It claimed revenge for the community's loss of her honor.

In a patriarchal society, men often consider women almost as their property (like livestock or buildings).  Dishonoring a man's woman is similar to vandalizing a man's house, and there's no hypocrisy in wanting to avenge the insult.   

9. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Nice post, Chuck.  All religious texts are open to interpretation, often made more difficult by translation issues.  Look at the sheer number of Christian sects, all of them basing their beliefs on the same book.  Even a fairly contemporary religion like Mormonism has off shoots of the mainstream beliefs. There are many Muslims who believe women and men to be equal just as there are many Christians who believe that women should be subservient to men.

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Yes, in most sects of Islam a woman is a piece of lint.

But it's THEIR piece of lint.

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Only WE can do that to our pledges!

12. Chuck~Taylor

Thanks guys. I just wanted to give Muslims a voice on this thread.

Draft saved Draft deleted