1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

And Mitch Barnhart thought he had this hoops thing nailed down ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by novelist_wannabe, Apr 11, 2007.

1. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

women's coach quits. Not going to Minnesota as far as I can tell.
    http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/shared-gen/ap/General_College_Sports_News/BKW_Kentucky_DeMoss.html

2. Dignan

Dignan Guest

Didn't see that coming. At all.

3. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Another Pokey? Hmmm?

4. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

After failing for a few years as the head coach at Florida, Mickie became Pat's right hand woman and waited a long time for the right situation to leave, a place where she could legitimately compete and eventually win.

And then she leaves after three years, when nearly everyone agreed she was doing a pretty good job?

This stinks badly. Maybe I'm just a skeptic, but this doesn't make sense.

5. John

John Well-Known Member

I'm inclined to agree.

6. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

No, there was no Pokey factor, and she said it wasn't burnout, but that's what it sounds like to me. Or just pure exhaustion. At least no one thinks it's a Pokey situation.

She said there is no health problem, then said she needed to put on weight. It did catch the players off-guard. Sarah Elliott said she saw the A1 teaser in the Herald Leader and that's how she first foud out.

And I'm sure Barnhart thought he would have an easier spring after getting Gillispie. Time to bunker in Mitch.

7. Hammer Pants

Do you honestly know there was no Pokey factor? I'm being curious, not ass-hatty.

8. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Is DeMoss serious when she says she's brought back national respect to the program? I don't care if she's in the SEC, 71-56 is not cutting it. And, no I don't care that the program won 20 games in the two seasons before her arrival.

Kentucky usually has a good amount of girl's prep prospects. Couple that with DeMoss' background, it should stand to reason that UK should be an NCAA tournament team year-in, year-out. Louisville's doing it in the Big East. Western Kentucky has done it for the last 25 years. There's no excuse for UK to not be in the same position.

Let's see how Barnhart recovers from this.

9. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'd like to hear some more about that myself.

10. Bob Slydell

Well, no not for sure, just going by what I do know. But are you just going to assume there was? We just figured it was more health-related, not Pokey-related.

11. Hammer Pants

I would rather not assume anything, but like I wrote earlier, the timing of this seems weird ... but maybe she's wanted to do this since the season ended, and Pat kept trying to convince her to stay. I hope it was something she just chose to do. I'm sure there's a really good chance you're right.

12. Bob Slydell

The timing is weird, so who knows why she really is doing it now. I just hope we don't find out soon she has some illness. In my few dealings with her, DeMoss was always cooperative and seemed nice enough. Hell, she was even nice to the media.

Draft saved Draft deleted