1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

And he was doing so well -- reporter drops a C-word on Rogers Sportsnet

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mystery_Meat, Apr 16, 2009.

1. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

In theory, maybe. In practice... not nearly that clear-cut.

It's more analogous to saying you should never ever type the word "cocksucker" because someone else may paste it into your copy.

2. RagingCanuck

RagingCanuck Guest

I give the studio guys a lot of credit for not cracking up and just moving on like he bobbled a word instead of saying one of George Carlin's seven words you can't say on TV.

3. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

Hilarious. The studio guys are completly stunned, too.

4. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

I'm going to back PC Load Letter, too. While this is a reminder of why an on-air person should never say anything remotely offensive near a microphone, there has to be a trust that something like this will never get on-air.

There is simply no reason for it.

For those of who say it's similar to blaming a copy editor, there's a BIG difference. The only way it's similar is if the editor prints something the writer never intended to publish. I don't know if the editor/producer was being rushed or lazy, but if I was Millions I'd be seriously pissed -- and deservedly so.

I will say this: I do want to know why that was even fed.

5. Sammi

Sammi Member

Similar incident at my former station. Other sports guy taping AM sports for next morning, gets tongue-tied and says "shit." Then does Take Two.
    Any guesses which version appeared next morning? He was given a one-day suspension. Not sure what happened to the editor. As someone above said, in a perfect world, the editor watches every second (and actually pays attention). With so many people being cut, we no longer live in perfect world.

6. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

That station couldn't pay enough for this publicity.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Sportsnet doesn't really need a lot of publicity

8. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

I'd be willing to bet the guy on the far right - Doug MacLean - wasn't even listening.

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

No, but it could do with some decent talent.

10. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

Elliotte,
    What does the CRTC do in cases like this?

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

What, no love for Peter Loubardias?

Their hockey panel sucks big time.

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Nothing, I would bet. I doubt they even care.

Seriously, have you read anything about this up here? If Mystery Meat hadn't posted it, would you know about it?

Sportsnet will get a few "shocked and appalled" letters and it'll go away.

Draft saved Draft deleted