1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Analysis: The "Hating Game" with Barry Bonds

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by creamora, Apr 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Now they are, but in 1998? HGH? Really?
    And Vincent me no Vincent memos. That's yet another attempt by Fay to pretend he's the last great commissioner. He "encouraged the the teams to crack down on them." He did? What he do, beyond the memo? Your proof of "cheating" as a state of mind is woefully thin. I've never seen a player take a shot of xylocaine before the game, either. Doesn't mean he's cheating, although it's a drug that allows him to perform. And do you seriously believe the fans gave a damn? I'd like a whole raft of evidence on that one. The stands were filled in '98. The AP locker-snooper got buried in the public mind -- and rightly, too.
    You believe that "cheating" is pretty much anything that doesn't conform to your own artificial set of parameters. Fine. But it's not the correct meaning of the term. Words are what we do. They mean something. They don't mean whatever we'd like them to mean.

2. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Anyone who uses the term "haters" loses the argument.

That is all.

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

It's going to be a genuine panic when the medical chickens start coming home to roost in another decade or so.

Poetic justice.

4. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

Yes, yes, a thousand times yes.

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I love it when we agree, Montezuma.

Makes me all warm and fuzzy...

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

warm and fuzzy hater.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

The steroid deal is just an added bonus.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

absofuckinglutely.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Hey, you gotta have some perks...

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Yeah, and Mark McGwire, the Great White Roid Boy, is certainly riding that tidal wave of public approval, as the national disgust with Bonds mounts.

:D :D :D

11. And what if they don't?
    What if most of these guys live long and happy lives?
    By this standard. we should make the NFL illegal.

12. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

Generally it will take longer than a decade for the medical issues to take root. And the time also depends on the type of drugs used, the cycles followed, whether the athlete abused the illegal drugs, etc. And we all know individuals react differently to drugs so some might see only mild issues or perhaps none at all.

But some/many abusers will play the price. Sad, but the trade-off is one they were willing to risk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.