1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

An SJ.com tradition unlike any other: guess Nantz' corny championship game line!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by suburbia, Apr 4, 2010.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

OK, what was it?

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

"Oh, it almost went in! Almost went in! And Duke is the king of the dance, 2010."

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Probably wasn't planned, just bluted out in play by play. Which of course made it much better than whatever was preplanned.

4. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Tonight's game showed why Nantz is a horseshit announcer.
    He was so caught up in trying to get his standard closing line out that he completely blew the end of the game call.
    Gus Johnson would have been having a coronary seeing a halfcourt shot come that close.
    He should stick to slower moving sports, because he's really, really awful doing basketball.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

No matter how bad Nantz is, he'll neve be close to as bad as Gus Johnson.

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Gus Johnson was at home watching this thing and DID have a coronary.

7. Rufino

Rufino Active Member

Nantz was awful. Absolutely nothing prompts him to raise his energy level more than a notch, and that was a horrible scripted line to end it. Killick's "Give the Devils their due" suggestion earlier in the thread would have been vastly superior.

8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

He should have just said, "Oh, shit!!!" like 90 percent of the people who were watching the game.

9. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

I would have been so much more entertaining than Nantz. Here's my personal play-by-play that only my cat heard. I'm paraphrasing, but this is close:

"Fucking Zoubek takes charges like a pussy. Shit, he made the first shot. I bet he bricks the second one. Not because he means to, but because he is a worthless sack of ... Dammit, he missed. Wait. One last chance. Oh, my God, that's shot's going to go in .... OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH."

<10 second pause>

"It looks like Chris Collins is fucking Coach K's leg."

10. Bud_Bundy

Bud_Bundy Well-Known Member

I screamed "Holy Shit!" and woke my wife, who was sound asleep.

11. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Butler goes 7+ minutes without a field goal in the 2nd and Duke can't pull away, yet Nance calls it "one of the greatest championship games" ever.

12. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

At golf Nantz is gold.
    But he's nowhere as good as Gus. Yes, Gus does go over a top when it's not a close game, but I'd rather have that than someone boring me to sleep during a one-point national championship game.

Draft saved Draft deleted