1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

An odd opportunity today

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HejiraHenry, Feb 3, 2008.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

Exactly, Jay. But the lede or the focus of the story...I seriously doubt it.

2. RFB-Boy

RFB-Boy Member

Wait, the automotons on the court have birthdays? Oh man, I've missed a whole facet of this sports thing...

On a related note, one of the juco teams I cover recently played on Australia Day. I know this because their star post is Australian, was wearing an Australian flag temporary tattoo, and said it was Australia Day, along with it being her parents' 22nd wedding anniversary. It was also the team's star point guard's 21st birthday.

Informative? Yes. Interesting? Probably not to most of our readers. I suppose writing stuff like that is a matter of philosophy: Do you think people really care about people they don't know, or is that just the crap we tell ourselves?

3. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

Hmm ... what if someone got a haircut since Tuesday? How often is someone's hair shorter at the end of the game than when it starts?

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

so, you're saying you're jumping on your own bandwagon?

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

I'm ceding the reins of my bandwagon to you Tom. I'm now just a passenger.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

dude, you have to stop watching the last second of last night's super bowl.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

Was the Super Bowl last night? Who won?

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

my raiders didn't, that's for damned sure.

9. Frylock

Frylock Member

Yeah, let's keep those boring high school gamers boring.
    Great philosophy.

10. If you need this to help your story from being boring, you have bigger problems.

11. awriter

awriter Active Member

Not if they're the "away team."

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i wrote a four-para. mock lede to this "story" after frylock posted, basically mocking him, of course. but then i realized this was the journalism topics only thread and deleted it soon after.

i wish to god i could have let my belittlement of frylock stand.

Draft saved Draft deleted