1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

An Inconvenient Truth

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jeff Gluck, Jun 10, 2006.

1. Jeff Gluck

Jeff Gluck Member

I just saw this movie tonight, and I highly recommend it.

It might scare you, but it's one of those movies where you have to see it for your own good.

It didn't have that political feel that you might expect, in case anyone is wondering. As Gore said, "It's not a political issue, it's a moral issue."

Sorry if I D'Bd this, didn't see another thread.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I've seen Gore on a few talk shows, and whatever image maker-over he's gone to should get a raise. Now when Gore talks he has the feel of the guy next door; very much like Clinton in '92.

Gore's going to run again, and if he does, he'll win fairly.

Good point-blank interview with him in GQ this month.

3. Saw it the otther night. What I was struck by was the movie's essential subtext which, I think, was the fact that the political fight over climate change has become increasingly irrelevant. This stuff is happening right now, and no amount of spin or talk-show tyapping changes the science. (The comparison of peer-reviewed literature and newspaper coverage was hilarious and sad, all at once.) Voted without a great deal of enthusiasm for the man in '00, and I think he's been dinged up so badly he can't ever win, but, damn, he knows this issue cold.

4. An Inconvienient Truth - Al Gore flying all over the world in a private jet is causing global warming. Do as Al Gore says - not as Al Gore does. That's the movie's "essential subtext".

5. "All over the world in a private jet"
    So all those shots of him hauling himself through airports, he was on his way to the charter terminal?
    Also, if you take your talking points from the CEI and from the bloggers who link to it, you're going to look really un-smart.

6. So are you saying Al Gore doesn't have a private jet? Now who s being naive?

Oh and those shots of him at airports are as phony as the shots of Kerry and boy haircut getting a meal at Wendy's on the campaign trail. Pure photo opportunity.

BTW - I don't know what the CEI is

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

So, we'll distract ourselves from his thesis by focusing on an irrelevant issue--how Al travels? Bullshit.

8. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Back on topic, I hope: Haven't seen the film yet, but it's on my short list. I've been exceedingly impressed with the post-2004 Al Gore. If only he had spoken with that level of passion and conviction during the summer of 2000 ... man, how the world could be different.

9. At least you had the decency to call his ideas a thesis and not proven facts.

I could argue that his hypocricy in how he travels is as relevant to the movie as his chances of running for president in 2008 but this thread already bores me.

Would you like to pet my monkey?

10. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

That spot on SNL on the set of the West Wing (pre-2004) was as priceless as his work a few weeks ago in the intro.

11. Nice documentation on the private jet, Lou. It's fake! John Kerry! But let's play with the silly little fellow anyway.
    Thomas Jefferson owned slaves, so the Declaration of Independence is a fake.
    So did George Washington, so he fought for a lie.
    Thomas Jefferson also proclaimed his belief in smaller government, so we should give back the Louisiana Purchase.
    FDR was rich, so he couldn't help poor people.
    JFK and RFK were rich, so neither could they.
    Ronald Reagan's father got his family through the Depression on a government job, so anything Reagan said about limiting government makes him a hypocrite.

Now the real fun starts...
    Bill Bennett is a degenerate gambler, so nothing he says about morals and values counts.
    Newt Gingrich is an adulterous husband, so ditto.
    (Fill In Administration Name Here) is a proven chickenhawk, so they have no right to send anyone else to war.

Lou -- You have a problem here. The science is all on one side and the industry-hyped polemic is all on the other. Your politics, as has been proven a couple of dozen times hereabouts, are an inch-deep and a mile wide, fueled by cheap talking-points and invective you picked up second-hand. The substantive answer to "What about all those shots of Al Gore trudging through airports?" is not to yell fake, or even to yell "John Kerry!" It's to prove what you're saying is accurate. So, feel free. Prove that those shots are fake. Clock's ticking, again.

Draft saved Draft deleted