1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

An example of why the industry is in trouble...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by NoTalentAndFatToo, Mar 1, 2007.

1. Double J

Double J Active Member

Newspapers suck the bag. Can I get an amen?

2. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

If I'm not mistaken, this is a free rag, the kind people start in their basement.

Because I think the "real" paper in Vermillion is the Vermillion Standard.

3. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

I still threw up a little bit in mouth reading that.

4. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

I'd guess there are hundreds of 3 or 4 person shops where the editor is also an ad salesperson. Certainly not ideal, but at tiny little weekly papers, there often isn't an option other than this if they want to stay in business.

5. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

True that. In my neck of the woods, we have a "legit" daily rag, and a weekly rag which has a staff of maybe four or five. So yes, people will indeed double up on the duties.

6. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

There is a small daily in our area where the assistant sports editor also sells ads part time for extra money...

7. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

I did a summer internship for a weekly. Actually, it was a chain of three very small weeklies. I had to take over the operations of one of those papers for three weeks when the ME went on her first vacation in four years. She was also the sole reporter and page designer for the paper. The 'secretary' and ME were also the ad sales staff. There was no other staff.

During the four weeks I spent there, I was asked to dedicate one day per week trying to sell ads.

small community papers often have no other choice but to do this. There would be hundreds of papers dry up and go away if this ethical line weren't crossed.

Again, not ideal. But sometimes, we all do things which are not ideal in one manner or another.

8. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Ides, what you're saying is representative of a struggle many journalists not at larger papers experience rather frequently. We have broad-based journalistic standards and ethics, but so often those standards and ethics are bent or even thrown out the window by necessity.

The problem is where the line should be. When can you say "enough?"

And then there's criticism from journalism circles and those who, through their own job, don't have to bend those same journalistic standards.

9. JackS

JackS Member

As someone who started in radio, that was my thought as well. Not out of the ordinary at all.

10. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

I hear you. If I'm at a 'legit' daily as you say, I wouldn't personally cross that line or allow my reporters to cross that line and start getting cozy with advertisers be being salesmen.

If I'm at a tiny weekly with less than five people on staff (including the salesmen) I think the line hardly even exists. I'm not about to advocate the death of papers where that is necessary. People can and do draw their own lines at what they'll do. Location, circulation size and staff size blur those lines and I can't fault those papers. A daily, however, should have no excuse for letting a reporter double up as a salesman.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I like the "not stuck to a 9-5 routine" part. That's a very nice way of saying you'll work 80 hours a week and like it!

12. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

But will you get paid for it? No mention of that.

Draft saved Draft deleted