1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

An epiphany

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by hockeybeat, Jul 31, 2007.

1. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

hb --

The good part of your relevation is that it's liberating -- to your thought process, to your life.

The difficult part is that it means finding your own moral code in the world instead of having one given to you. Many thoughtful religious people have to do the same thing, as well, but you surely will be forced to.

One other thought: You're not out of the ordinary. Lots of people feel the way you do. Lots of them continue going to church, but that doesn't mean that's the right decision for you. If you're looking for something else, seek it.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I really haven't much believed in God for about 15 years, when he/she/it knocked me clean off the fence on the issue. I believe in the basic goodness of people and that most people see Rousseau's social contract as the best way to make life in society work.

3. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Blue Like Jazz, Donald Miller. A good read for those of you who have questions about Christianity while not as willing to give up the faith, as well as non-Christians who have curiosity about the faith but are set back by the psycho elements we unfortunately have to suffer. Well written, thoughtful, good shit all around. I liked it.

4. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Well, there's an unpredictable comment. ::)

5. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

I miss the days when I thought that people are essentially good. It felt better to think that. I don't any more.

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

The lack of evidence is, indeed, deafening.

7. shockey

shockey Active Member

welcome to the bright side, hb, my brother. 8) ;D 8)

8. If you are going to church or saying prayers or whatever as a force of habit, then you should stop. It makes no sense.
    But Christianity doesn't have to be about rituals. That has always been my complaint with the Catholic church.
    It should be about a personal relationship with Jesus Christ.
    You can find that if you look, and you don't have to do it in a church.
    I advise anyone to keep an open mind when it comes to religion. You won't agree with most of what people say, but I think you should always listen, because you never know who might actually be right.
    If there is a God, He can choose an incredibly unlikely method to speak to you.
    If there isn't, I don't know how you can really figure that out and be confident in your decision without having intelligent discussions and reading up on the subject.

9. In the US, we call the above statement terrorism. And you've broken one of the major tenants of most organized religions...thou shalt not pass judgement. The statement insinuates that the original poster is incapable of making up his/her own mind. The wonderful thing about being human is that we can continue to think and shape our mind the way we want...by the grace of whatever you believe.

10. pallister

pallister Guest

Good thing not passing judgment is not one of the TENETS of SportsJournalists.com.

11. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Have either of you posted your 95 Theses on the door of the local church yet? :D

12. audreyld

audreyld Guest

I just wanted to repost HC's comments here, because I think they sum up how a lot of us feel about our relationship with belief.

Draft saved Draft deleted