1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

An Elegy for SJ.com In Honor of 10,000

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by forever_town, Feb 24, 2009.

1. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

As I sit at home still essentially unemployed, I'm thinking about SportsJournalists.com and all the things about this board that make it unique. On the occasion of my 10,000th post, I decided I'd reflect on the good things.

I've seen SportsJournalists.com at its best when people stepped outside their normal board personas and gave us glimpes into their lives with personal, heartfelt memories evoked by a song. I've seen SportsJournalists.com at its best when people gathered in the wake of losing one of its own shortly after Tripp McNeely had lost his grandfather. I saw SportsJournalists.com at its best when we all thought about, prayed for and cried about kleeda's son William. We saw tragedy turn to triumph as William survived, then went home.

And, yes, I saw SportsJournalists.com at its best when I shared some of my vulnerable moments. When I wrote my story about coming out and came out on the board, when I wrote about my fight with cancer and when the bell tolled for me at my last shop.

I don't know what I'd be doing without the support I've gotten from so many people on here. From people whom I've met in person to people I've chatted with on AIM or have added me on Facebook and MySpace, I've enjoyed "talking" with a lot of you and talking with some of you. I've enjoyed extended PM conversations with some of you as well. SportsJournalists.com has become a huge part of my support system as I'm dealing with the vagaries of unemployment.

To everyone who has been a source of inspiration for at least one of these 10,000 posts, thank you. May better times lie ahead for us all.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Great post.

3. forever_town

Thanks Mizzou.

4. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Amen, even if it so clearly deomstrates what a piker I am -- I was all happy about reaching 3K on Sunday. Amateur, pure amateur. :p

Seriously, though, I've been out of the newsroom for about a year, toiling away in freelance hell, and SportsJournalists.com gives me the feel of still being connected to my fellow journos. For good, for bad, for funny, for poignant, for it all... many, many thanks. And thanks, f_t, for a nice thread starter.

Ahem...

BLOGS! FNORD! RIP Brad Renfro! Viva Brook Jacoby! and other assorted nonsequitor shout-outs.

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Good post. A lot better than other "Hey, look! I've reached [insert number here] posts on a message board!!!"

6. forever_town

Thanks, guys.

I wanted to do something more meaningful than "look, I've got 10,000 posts!"

7. Nice work f_t

8. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Well done, my man. You are a valued member of this little society, for whatever that's worth, and I'm positive better times are ahead for you.

Keep your chin up.

9. forever_town

Thanks, guys. And thank you for the encouragement, Barsuk.

Draft saved Draft deleted