1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

An early 2007 Darwin Awards entry ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by D.Sanchez, Jan 12, 2007.

1. D.Sanchez

D.Sanchez Member

Bid to electrocute moles fatally backfires

January 12, 2007 - 2:37PM

A German retiree who wired up a high-voltage cable to try to wipe out the moles digging up his garden has killed himself instead.

The 63-year-old retired construction foreman was found dead in the garden of his weekend house in Zingst next to a 380 volt cable and metal spikes rammed into the ground, police spokesman Uwe Werner said.

"The moles survived," Werner said, noting the voltage was enough to run a cement mixer or heavy-duty power saw.

"It was in any event an unorthodox method to try to get rid of moles."

Reuters

2. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

3. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

David Sedaris has a great bit about a guy who tried to light mice-infested pile of leaves on fire in his yard because he was sick of the mice, and one of the mice (his fur aflame) goes sprinting into the house, burning down his home. I heard him read it on his recent tour, and I suspect it will be in his next book.

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I'm not that shocked.

5. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

We'll see that, or a variation on it, in a movie sometime down the road.

6. Just_An_SID

Just_An_SID Well-Known Member

"If you want to kill a mole, you have to think like a mole and, whenever possible, look like them."

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

He was!

8. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

The Darwin Awards, presented by Jolt...

9. Platyrhynchos

Platyrhynchos Active Member

That's how prairie fires spread, too. Rabbits, pheasants, etc. catch fire and run/fly till they are dead. But wherever they land, that gets going too.
    When the Corps of Engineers had a controlled burn of some CRP a couple of years ago, the hawks were lined up on the down-wind side waiting for all the little critters to come running out in their efforts to escape the flames. It was quite incredible.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

See, I disagree about this being a strong Darwin Awards entry.

This was innovative and clever (not quite as clever as a mole, but still clever).

Hey, lots of great inventions are discovered through trial and error. Who knows, the guy may have died inventing a fully electric cabbage patch.

11. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I sense a new line of Cabbage Patch Kids. Introducing "Volta" your new buddy from the garden.

12. Beach_Bum

Beach_Bum Member

http://www.snopes.com/media/notnews/mousefire.asp

Draft saved Draft deleted