1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

An absolute must read for music fans

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JayFarrar, Nov 3, 2010.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Soundgarden's "Badmotorfinger" was incredible.

Soundgarden's "Superunknown" was horribly overrated.

2. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Had no idea about "Soup." Will have to investigate.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Hey, lay off the guy. "Far Beyond Driven" hit no. 1.

As for the article, Jesus, that guy needed an editor. I gave up about one-eighth thru, after I'd read several thousand words.

4. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

OK, I managed to finish the first column -- and then read the next two, on the Kurt Cobain/Axl Rose rivalry (?) and Pearl Jam.

Maybe he did pick up an editor, BYH, because the latter two columns were somewhat shorter, and more focused on the subject at hand than his intro.

While his columns are entertaining and somewhat interesting for those of us who "were there" in the late 1980s and early 1990s, Hyden should look more into how the music industry took "grunge," the "Seattle Scene," "punk rock," etc. and merged it all into the Chicken McNuggets version: Alternative.

This move to create a new Corporate Rock genre to more efficiently separate suburban slackers and grunge wannabes from their cash is what led to bands like Bush, Creed, Nickelback, etc. -- much more so than any individual, such as Eddie Vedder.

Maybe he'll expand more in future columns. Steven Hyden's a good writer and it's an interesting subject, so I'll follow along because, hey, "I'm a Looser, Baby ..." (I think Hyden deals with 1993 next).

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I think the point is that subsequent, less talented, less original performers glom onto the sounds, looks and overall schtick of the more successful performers.
    That's how the homogenization happens. Of course record companies want to promote acts that look and sound like acts that are alaready successful.

6. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

And if you like Soup, check out the band poor old lu. Great 90s Seattle band no one has heard of.

Draft saved Draft deleted