1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

An absolute must read for music fans

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JayFarrar, Nov 3, 2010.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

To me two criminally underrated bands from the era that also hold up really well are Blind Melon and Cracker.

I got to college in 1995, and I remember my roommate already had this hot new album by a new group called The Dave Matthews Band. The beginning of the end, really.

2. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Yeah, I didn't catch the Big 3 redux this year. That's too bad about Anthrax, my favorite of the trio. Mustaine can't sing but he can shred.

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Both very cool bands.

4. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Anthrax was always my favorite of those three as well. Then they put out the dogshit album Stomp 442 in the mid-1990s, and couldn't figure out who they wanted as their singer. Slayer passed them.

The show was striking, because Anthrax played a bunch of old stuff (nothing written after 1990), and the others played their albums that came out in 1990. Probably gonna be my last time seeing those three bands.

5. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

I'm not really a fan of anything from Slayer or Anthrax post-1990. Megadeth has had some decent stuff, but nothing on the level of even Killing is my business. Peace Sells and Among the Living are two of my favorite albums and I still listen to them on occasion.

As for Slayer, Reign in Blood was awesome but haven't listened to it in a long time.

6. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Blind Melon was great. "Change" and "Soul One" are two of my favorite songs from the era.

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

No love for Tones of Home? They do a very good cover of Three is a Magic Number.

Letters, you just detest anything popular and mainstream, right?

8. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I own both of Blind Melon's albums. They're filled with great songs. I just named my two favorites. I'm capable of appreciating more than what I'm spoonfed.

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Heroin is a bitch.

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I have tried to make this point on different threads around here when people say music today sucks.
    The music scene today is much better because of access and diversity.

"Following music took real work if you happened to 1) be under 18, 2) live in a small town, 3) get paid a small allowance, 4) not have a driver’s license, and 5) have limited access to media that could tell you about the latest groups. Keeping up with underground music was practically impossible; you couldn’t just log on and dial up a million blogs offering up free music without leaving your bedroom. Underground music was actually underground; you had to venture out and look for it, and only after somebody let you in on the secret that it was actually there. Maybe I could’ve discovered Pixies’ Bossanova had I searched a little harder, but how could I look for something that I didn’t even know existed? For me, what I heard on the radio and saw on MTV was the only music there even was. "

11. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Ah the 90s...

I remember having to wait in line for concert tickets at obscene hours of the morning at my local Ticketmaster outlet. While some may think there's a level of romance in that, I always hated it.

I recall going out of my way to the indie record store which sold bootlegs. My best friend and I would pool our money together to buy these rare hard rock and metal CDs. They were always double or triple what regular CDs cost because they were really bootlegs and illegal.

As for the music, I don't miss a whole lot of it. I was never a big grunge fan to begin with, but when it did go away it just felt like it disappeared into the abyss. I remember walking around downtown Seattle in 2001 and running into Krist Novoselic. It was so surreal how seemingly mundane the moment was knowing where he was just seven years earlier.

12. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

They have 3 albums (at least with Shannon Hoon, not counting any after his death. EDIT: Nico was released after his death.)

1. Blind Melon
    2. Soup
    3. Nico

"Drive" and "Change" are my two favorite Melon songs. "Sleepyhouse" is very good too. In fact, "No Rain" is the only song I skip over when listening to that album.

Draft saved Draft deleted