1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

An A-hole at Xmas?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Unibomber, Dec 27, 2006.

1. EE94

EE94 Guest

Maybe Uni is an asshole more frequently than just Xmas and his family just doesn't give a shit anymore what he thinks.

2. Double J

Double J Active Member

That's when you come back with, "you know where the fridge, freezer, cupboards, microwave, oven and stove are, and you're not crippled. Help yourself."

3. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

No. These kinds of food fits usually involve travel.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

Outstanding!!!!

5. Double J

Double J Active Member

Exactly! If she doesn't like it, she can take a flying you know what. That's travel, right?

Hey, I'm not sexist. I'd have the same attitude for a male. I'll happily make or get something for anyone in the house if I'm asked to do so. Many times, I don't even have to be asked. I'm not going to do it, though, if it's demanded of me. I don't get along well with people who are either in authority or are pretending to be.

6. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Noooooo. It's like you are in a car. And you would really, really like to drive another 50 miles to a larger town that might offer better dining. But you weigh that against marital peace and you stop in Podunk. Or it's like you are in a jet. The wise husband packs some wife treats in the carry-on. It will make the trip so much more pleasant.

7. DyePack

DyePack New Member

No offense, but that's simply BS.

I routinely arrive 10-15 minutes late for these things, simply because they never start on time.

8. Double J

Double J Active Member

I saw a Lee Marvin movie tonight, although he wasn't particularly fearsome in it. It was "Paint Your Wagon." :D

Seriously, I love that movie, and I especially love Lee's rendition of "Wand'rin Star." A great, great, great song, even if Lee wouldn't necessarily be your first choice to sing it (or anything else).

And it was an absolute genius move by the record company to release that song as a single in early 1970 -- it went to No. 1 on the UK pop chart and stayed there for three weeks, keeping both "Let It Be" and "I Want You Back" out of the top spot in the process. :eek:

Probably the least likely performer to hit the top of the pops, at least until Telly Savalas also did it a few years later with his cover of "If" by Bread. :eek: :eek:

9. Double J

Double J Active Member

P.S. The film is also famous for the song "They Call The Wind Mariah," for which Mariah Carey was named later in 1970. :)

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

Whether this is a good idea or not depends on your family.

My dad's going to eat dinner at 6 every night no matter what. "Dad, we were delayed because a meteor crashed on I-84" would not be an acceptable excuse. Hence, I get there very early on Christmas Day, so that this does not become an issue.

If Uni's family doesn't fuck around with eating times, then he should have been there on time.

11. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Actually, this year I waited until halftime of the FB game to make the drive. Strategy.

12. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Ditto.

While it wasn't a meteor, it was an ice storm that inspired me to tell my parents I wouldn't come over 'til 11 a.m. Christmas morning instead of 9 a.m. like they asked. The previous day, there had been a nasty accident on one of the surface streets I had to take to get to their house, and I wanted to wait 'til the salt trucks got around to de-icing the roads before I tried driving on them.

Didn't make any difference. Three years later, my parents still hold a grudge because I showed up late. Fucken eh.

Draft saved Draft deleted