1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

An A-hole at Xmas?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Unibomber, Dec 27, 2006.

1. Unibomber

Unibomber Member

My mother just gave me hell over the phone for my actions over the holidays. Apparently, I was a huge Grinch and she didn't appreciate it. Now, I admit, I was in a crappy mood over most of the weekend, but here is why. Let me know if you think I was justified ...

1. We have several small gatherings with my folks, Mrs. Unis folks, my mom's folks and then finally a big Christmas deal with turkey and all at my Dad's folks'. Anyhow, we planned on driving to my folks Friday night where we would exchange with them, my bro and his live-in girlfriend over our favorite pizza (which I only get once a year because I live so far from home.
    So, I arrive around 8 p.m. to NO PIZZA and a "You guys did stop and eat didn't you?" NO. WE WERE SUPPOSED TO HAVE PIZZA. And no bro's girlfriend. He has been dating her over a year and now lives with her and I have yet to meet here even though she has had several chances. Apparently, she was too busy. So, I took the gifts we had for her and put them back in the car. My thinking was that if she doesnt have time to meet us, she ain't getting a gift. The next morning, I call the bro to come see his new house (he has been begging for me to come do so). He says sure and then calls back five minutes later and says not to come over because place is a mess. 2 hours later, after his woman left for day, apparently it was OK to come see his house. I declined because I smelled a rat and that rat being that we couldnt come when we wanted to because she didnt want to meet us.
    2. Wife's mom makes huge Italian meal with the best Brazole I have ever eaten. It was great, but I only ate a bit because I was supposed to have Favorite Pizza No 2 at my Mom's mom's (yes, this is another pizza I get maybe once a year). So I drive for 2 hours and work up a great appetite for pizza. We get there at 6 p.m., right when we said we would be there. Guess what? Pizza is gone. Aunt, who knew what time we woudl get there, said everyone started eating at five and when she told them to save some for us, they joked around that if we snooze we lose. So, i went apeshit. Not only was there no pizza, there was no where to eat at 7 p.m on Xmas eve. I was an ass all night.
    3. At Dad's family get together, our invites read, "Breakfast at 10, presents at 11, big dinner at 2." Breakfast on Christmas is better than the dinner because it is on a farm and involved fresh sausage, bacon and side meat from a freshly buthered hog along with sausage gravy and biscuits, eggs, EVERYTHING and I look forward to it as much as either pizza. We arrive at 10:20 and get a "Glad you could make it" and everyone there is halfway done opening presents. Apparently, they decided to start early. Bacon and sidemeat are gone and there is cold gravy in a turned off crock pot and just a few cold, stale biscuits. Now, i worked Xmas night and this was the only real meal I was going to have before hitting the road (we couldnt go to aunt's for the turkey dinner and still make it back in time to put out paper). So, again, I went apeshit. I was starving all day til I found a crappy Chinese buffet that served me some crappy General Tso's chicken to go that night.

BAH HUMBUG!
    So kill me people, but what would you have done?

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Exactly what you did; but I am, indeed, a documented and confirmed asshole...
    Seriously, you did nothing wrong.

3. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I'd have been pissed, too, Uni.

I probably would've left each place after each incident. But I'm a huge asshole.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

No you aren't. You're never at any of the meetings...

5. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Uni, I say next year you just stay at home. The holidays are stressful enough without your family behaving like asshats.

6. Unibomber

Unibomber Member

7. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

I can't imagine being treated that badly.
    You were the jerk? Uh, no. People who are supposed to care about you should not be treating you like that -- especially when you are the one that made the effort to come from out of town.
    Of course, you didn't really tell us how badly you behaved. Within reason, you were justified. But ...

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Would have opted for Szechwan, not General Tso...

9. Flash

Flash Guest

Christmas sucks.

And I know what it's like to only get that BEST PIZZA once a year ... I would be seriously pissed, too.

10. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

Uni, maybe if you weren't such AN ASSHOLE TO BEGIN WITH, maybe your mom would have gotten pizza, maybe your grandma and family would have saved you some pizza and maybe your dad's side of the family woulda waited on breakfast and gift opening.

i keed, i keed. :D

11. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

It seems like you get cranky when you're hungry. My wife's that way. Wonderful person when fed regularly. Crabby, pouting, sulking 5-year-old when deprived of food.

By the way, the pizza is great here. But you can't have any. We ate it all.

12. Lookie here, a comedy movie!

Draft saved Draft deleted