1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Amy Winehouse.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by HejiraHenry, Mar 18, 2007.

1. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I heard one of her songs for the first time tonight while driving home from a region track meet.

2. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Sorry, I just got this mental image of James Brown with a C cup singing I Feel Good.

3. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

Now I get it. The classic Stax and Motown sound that Winehouse is emulating is...hip hop.

4. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

I love her music. Really love her music, in fact.

Not attracted to her, though. She seems like kind of a skank. I like nice girls.

5. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Also recently married....In a hush-hush ceremony in Miami.

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Engaged for less than a month before the nuptials.

7. writing irish

You're not necessarily missing anything, B-dub.

I dig her music because it's a really raw, edgy take on the 1960s Detroit sound...with a little of the 1960s Memphis sound thrown in. I'm guessing a lot of the Motown girls groups of that era would have sounded similar this if they hadn't been watered down by music company execs.

I like "Rehab," but I don't think it's one of the album's better songs. It's a single because of the novelty lyrics. If you're curious, listen to the whole record for a better feel. I think she might be up for the Best Brit Take on African-American Music Styles Since Mick Jagger Award.

8. rokski2

rokski2 New Member

I agree. I loved how she looked in that 'before' pic. Definitely my type. She's got some Gina Gershon Italian thing going on. Love that look.

I never heard of her until I saw her in SC's avatar (I think that's where it was).

9. writing irish

Thank God that fucking Kobe pic is no longer your avatar, Rok.

10. rokski2

rokski2 New Member

Ha ha. No, after the Suns beat the Lakers, I switched it on my "RokSki" profile. This one I had to go with the Usual Suspects pic. I had trouble with my other profile for a few days, so I started this one as a backup. :)

11. writing irish

I'd rather look at Amy Winehouse's anus than Kobe's face.

12. rokski2

rokski2 New Member

Me, too. That's why I had his mug shot up, to remind all the Kobephiles what a great guy he is.

Draft saved Draft deleted