1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Amy Schumer on finding self confidence

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Double Down, Apr 20, 2015.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

3 things here.

1. This is not a justification for anyone being rude.

2. Celebrities like Quentin Tarantino have done this for ages and, what's more, the celebrities have usually been men.

3. I feel for Schumer in a sense. She came along at an odd time in American celebrity. I think she's been asked to stand for more than even makes her comfortable, but "empowered" celebrities rarely feel like they can say no - because she's told, so often, how many people she's speaking for - so she's put herself out there in ways that are tough to sustain. White male comics don't have to do that. They're just funny or not funny. Schumer has to be funny and representative. Not easy. Money and opportunities come with it. So do critiques and negative attention.

Donny in his element likes this.
  2. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Correct. She wasn't doing it to help him out or get him exposure. She was doing it because her shit was more important and her level of celebrity doesn't require her to wait in line.

3. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Did you not read it? He trashed her pretty good while "thanking" her.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

So now this is just like sexual assault? Laughable.

5. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say he trashed her. He only said it was a shitty thing to do.

Perhaps ironically, if he had trashed her or told her to wait her turn, he may have gotten even more attention for his act and podcast.

Draft saved Draft deleted