1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Amy Mickelson has breast cancer

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Rockbottom, May 20, 2009.

1. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Sad stuff. Hope she recovers and I'm glad Phil will be with her every step.

2. I have heard nothing but good things from my golf writer buddies about this lady --- even the golf writer buddies who can't stand her husband.
    May she be well.

3. shockey

shockey Active Member

all thoughts and prayers to amy. all we can do. :( :( :(

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

She is one of the nicest people I ever met covering sports. She has my prayers and good wishes.

5. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

What MG said, syllable by syllable. An absolute sweetheart.

I'm sending her good karma and good wishes.

6. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Far too young to be dealing with this. I hope she beats this thing . . . and soon.

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Man, that sucks. Get well soon, Amy.

8. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

A nice Steve Elling piece that echoes what I posted earlier.

http://www.cbssports.com/golf/story/11768456

Two years ago, when Phil won at Riviera for the first time, I was charged with bringing Amy, her parents and Phil's parents from the 18th green down to the media center. I apologized for the roundabout way I had to take them -- since Riviera isn't the easiest course to navigate -- yet Amy wasn't hearing any of it.

"Don't worry about it. We'll get there. Phil's not going anywhere."

When I was done, she and her parents thanked me profusely for my "hospitality." All I did was drive them in a huge golf cart from Point A to Point B.

Didn't matter.

9. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Suspending his schedule to be with her is obviously the right thing to do, but don't automatically take it as a sign of the initial prognosis. Remember, Chris Spielman did the same when his wife Stefanie was first diagnosed ... 11 years ago.

Thoughts going out to the Mickelsons, and also to Stefanie and Chris, who continue to fight her disease.

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I never tire of reading stories about Phil's generosity ($100 bills for the little girls running a lemonade stand off the 12th fairway); it's interesting to read some today about Amy. There will be many more after she beats this.

11. accguy

accguy Member

If Elling, who is one of the most biting, cynical and jaded sports writers I've ever met, doesn't have a single thing bad to say about Amy Mickelson, that's saying a lot.

And, for the record, I like Elling.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

As someone who is about to lose my favorite aunt to breast cancer, I find this devastating...

Here is my Amy Mickelson story: It was about 11-12 years ago and Phil was in the mix on the final day of the tournament. Amy is standing among the media and she is as genuinely nice as she is good-looking. She was talking to our golf writer, who she knew, and I was standing on the other side of her. When Phil took the shot, she turned and buried her head in my shoulder for a split second.

I've rooted for Phil ever since...

Draft saved Draft deleted