1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Amtrak Travel

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jims242, Jan 12, 2008.

1. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

I've done a couple of 1,000-mile trips on Amtrak. Never again.

The food is nothing more than mediocre and you can drive there and back faster. Unless you like sitting around doing nothing . . .

2. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

This is the problem with government shirking its responsibility with regard to rail travel. Imagine if the private sector had to fend for itself for roadway repairs. There is a reason why the government assumed control of roadways. Rail is a neglected mode of transport.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

ahhh " the clickety clack club"

4. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I thought that was for people who screwed in football stadium tunnels while wearing UnderArmour

5. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

Right now we're leaning toward a three-night (!) Amtrak trip this summer, and that's exactly the reason. Three days when I can't be paged and can't sign on to work even if I want to. Nothing to do but read, eat, drink and watch the country go by. My wife is the one pushing this deal.

No, the food isn't great--think Applebee's quality--but considering that it comes out from a kitchen the size of a broom closet that also travels at 79 mph, it isn't bad.

6. amtrak may be on strike at the end of the month.....

at least in the northern corridor

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

we used to take the train right into the kingdome parking lot to see mariner games. we'd get shitfaced drunk on the way up and not have to worry about the drive home.

fun as hell, but i'd never want to go cross country on one.

8. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I did the train from Boston to Michigan and back. Except for the lengthy ride -- twice the length of driving -- it was wonderful.

I still think the rail system in our country is an underappreciated asset, one that could be immensely valuable if government treated it with even a fraction of the attention that our highway system gets.

9. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

No, no, you're supposed to do <b>his</b> wife. We call her Choo Choo around Penn Station. Fun girl!

10. Stone Cane

Stone Cane Member

did a long-distance amtrak from providence to raleigh a few years ago and had a blast

great way to see the country

loved it

11. markvid

markvid Guest

A few baseball teams are taking trains between NYC and Washington now.
    Much easier and better than dealing with the silly routine of an airport.

12. Bad Guy Zero

Bad Guy Zero Active Member

That's really not a good idea.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted