1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Amos Alonzo Stagg Bowl ... running(?) thread.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by old_tony, Dec 19, 2009.

1. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Being a mild-mannered Wartburg grad, it's like watching Augsburg/Wartburg compete for the D-III wrestling title for the umpteenth time. A younger grad I know told me that there was some rumors floating around last after the Warhawks beat Wartburg that Whitewater was working towards moving up and renaming themselves Wisconsin State.

I wonder if that talk is still circulating around or not.

Anyway, congrats Whitewater. Oh and stay classy with that FG at the end. Two knees would have done the job regardless.

2. D-3 Fan

Hell, didn't LaCrosse hold that title in football under Roger Harring? And Platteville in basketball under Bo Ryan?

3. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

I remember in 2002 Whitewater hosted Mount Union and got their ass kicked. St. John's also killed them that year in the regular season. That was at Whitewater. But at the time, there was a story that talked about how Whitewater wanted to reach that level so they wanted to schedule Mount Union to see where the program was at. I don't think anyone thought they'd only take a few years to be the first clear, legitimate, year in, year out challenger to Mount Union in 16 years. Pretty impressive. When they beat St. John's in 05, it was, I believe, the first time they'd ever won a second-round playoff game. Now they're equal, and two out of the last three years, superior to Mount.

I don't think the FG was running up the score. Mount had used all three timeouts, I believe so the clock was stopped after third down and they did it to put the game away. I was surprised they kicked because it sets up a block. But that kicker isn't a typical D-3 kicker.

4. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

Were you watching the game? It was 4th down with 30 seconds left on the clock. It was either go for it on 4th-and-7 from about the Mount Union 27, punt the ball and give Mount Union a puncher's chance or kick the field goal and seal it.

5. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

There's a I-AA non-scholarship level. Butler & Dayton are in it.

6. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

For football, yes. For other sports, no. Except the Ivy, which doesn't have any openings. Mount Union would get their non-scholly asses handed to them by most of their opponents, who would have much better talent even if they were in the lowest of the low-majors.

They could go up for football only, but what would be the point if they just go into the Pioneer League, where the talent level probably isn't much better than a good D-III league, win a bunch of games and then not make the playoffs because their SOS is so poor?

7. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

If Mount Union has to go up a division, Kenyon's men's swimming program should be right behind them. Bullies.

8. D-3 Fan

Yes, I watched the game, Buddah. You think I was going to not watch this game. Besides, my question was answered in re the FG, thank you very much.

I'll accept that line of thought on the FG.

I loathe the fool who'll question me when it comes to watching D-III football.

9. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

You should make your affinity more transparent.

10. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

This fool questioned it because you said they could have just kneeled twice, even though it was fourth down. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted