1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

America's Got Talent... With Howard Stern...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mizzougrad96, May 15, 2012.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I don't know that I completely agree.

It is interesting that just as he gets to satellite radio where he can say and do anything, he clearly lost his edge. He did much crazier stuff on regular radio than he ever did on Sirius.

I mean, there were instances when he was on regular radio when I was driving somewhere when I had to pull over to the side of the freeway because I was laughing so hard. I don't think that ever happened when he was at Sirius. It was still a good show, but not what it once was.

2. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

I've only watched the first bit so far, but have the rest DVRed.

I don't know how the guy can follow up with anything interesting, but the guy that made the theater into the giant guitar or harp or whatever ... that was awesome. I was amazed not that it sounded good, but that it worked at all.

3. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

The glow in the dark dinosaurs dancing to Skrillex (I think) were oddly enticing.

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Meh, I liked last year's light group better.

5. Mizzougrad96

Second episode was far better than the first.

6. Mizzougrad96

I'm liking it more than I thought I would...

Last night there was a guy who stutters because he was hit with a grenade in Iraq, but was an amazing singer.

There was one other kid on the keyboard who gave me chills...

Stern has been really good. He got a ton of press for buzzing a 7-year-old rapper, but otherwise has been pretty interesting to watch...

7. imjustagirl

That singer guy was amazing.

8. Mizzougrad96

The vet? Yeah, when my wife and I were watching the build-up, we were saying, "They wouldn't do this if he sucked would they?"

You felt like, "He has to be good..." but I was so relieved when he actually was...

For someone who never watched more than a few minutes from any of the previous seasons, I'm enjoying it...

9. imjustagirl

It's a really great mix of "seriously?" and "holy shit!"

10. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — A singer who appeared on the NBC show "America's Got Talent" and claimed he was injured during a grenade blast in Afghanistan has no military record of his purported combat injuries, the Minnesota National Guard said Tuesday.

"Sgt. Poe's official military records do not indicate that he was injured by a grenade in combat while serving in Afghanistan in 2009, as he reports," Lt. Col. Kevin Olson, a spokesman for the Minnesota National Guard, said in a statement.

Olson noted that Poe did not receive the Purple Heart, which is given to those who are injured in enemy combat. Poe didn't claim he had received the award.

"We looked very closely at his record," Olson said in a telephone interview with The Associated Press. "We did not find something to substantiate what he said."

An NBC spokeswoman said the network and Poe had no comment.

http://news.yahoo.com/no-record-tv-singers-claimed-combat-injury-010352238.html

11. imjustagirl

Awesome.

12. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

Resuscitating this thread to point out some pretty shameless, exploitative -- and borderline offensive -- behavior by NBC.

Tonight's episode was the last of the pre-Las Vegas shows and it was a mash-up of the auditions from across the country. The final act was a young singer named Mary Joyner -- the daughter of Flo-Jo and Al Joyner.

So as she's being introduced to us, they show highlights of Flo-Jo and Al competing in their Olympic events ... and as those highlights come up, a graphic splashes across the bottom of the screen reminding you to watch the London Games on NBC.

"Bullshit!" I screamed. Ms. Joyner's a heck of a singer and she very well could win this contest on her own merits -- without the Peacock playing us all with this shameless, synergistic stunt.

Draft saved Draft deleted