1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

America's Game

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by nafselon, Jul 22, 2009.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Why do you say that you can understand leaving off Bradshaw? Sure, Montana probably has a more intellectual approach to things and if you want to have an intelligent conversation about anything under the sun, Noll would be a great choice for that. But if you're going to sit down with one of those three guys and have him tell entertaining stories, Bradshaw's probably the guy you want.

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Bradshaw would have been great for that series. Didn't realize he wasn't involved. Definitely surprised at that.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

He has done so much for NFL Films over the years, they might have just wanted another voice.

I watched some of the 49ers last night, and I never realized how at odds they were with the local media and with each other.

Does The Finger speak in one of the episodes?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  4. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

Has nothing to do with intellectual approach or entertainment factor and I agree Bradshaw is the one I'd be chatting with. But he has spoken in-depth about his experiences on a few occasions. He spoke a ton in the NFL Films Greatest Games on Super Bowl XIII. I agree I want to hear from all of them, but Bradshaw's omission doesn't bother me like Noll's and Montana's because there are many other avenues to get Bradshaw's opinions on those games and teams. Noll and Montana, not so much.

5. 93Devil

Lambert would be the Rosetta Stone for Steeler fans.

There is very, very little of him speaking openly over the years.

6. outofplace

Good point. They just bring different things to the table. I'm thinking more of general appeal. Personally, I'd want to hear Noll talk about anything, particularly those teams.

I have met both of them. Bradshaw is just fun to listen to. Noll could be very intimidating, but he was also incredibly intelligent. I say was because it has been so long since I met him and from what I've heard, his health has deteriorated a good bit.

Funny, but I never really thought that much about wanting to hear from Lambert.

7. 93Devil

Gruden and Sapp and the Bucs are on right now, and it is very good.

Tons of Gruden bleeps.

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

My favorite is one of the 49er ones where someone, I forget who, tells the story of the team signing Fred Dean in midseason. Dean doesn't practice because he comes in on Friday or something, suits up Sunday, gets like three sacks. Then reaches into his locker, pulls out a pack of Kools, and lights one up while Walsh is addressing the team. It's like 25 years later, the player telling the story is still completely freaked out.

9. 93Devil

Bumping this because of what is going to air in 26 minutes.

I have been looking forward to seeing this for eight months.

10. outofplace

The new one on the 2008 Steelers? I knew it was soon, but forgot when.

11. 93Devil

Sweet Christ, Don Draper (Jon Hamm) is the narrator.

12. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Duane Thomas was one of the more interesting personalities.

Ripped the shit out of Schramm and Landry.

Draft saved Draft deleted