1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

America's churches are dying

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Bob Cook, Sep 21, 2011.

1. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Wouldn't the selling of indulgences about 700 years ago, to name one of about 1,000 examples, have been a lot closer to that than anything going on now?

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

My favorite is when the church forbade the use of forks because they resembled a devil's pitchfork. Sure, it's not in the Bible, but we have to avoid the appearance of evil. That justification for applying divine force to stupid cultural norms never gets old.

3. printdust

printdust New Member

Hey, the Church of Christ forbids instruments in the church because of a psalm that says sing to the Lord...make melody in your hearts...and says nothing about instruments.
    One of my favorite religious jokes...St. Peter is taking a bunch of new arrivals through Heaven Orientation when he reaches one of the mansions...."In this room, we have the Catholics. Lots of liquor on that side of the room, wild parties, and over on the other side, the confessional booths. Presbyterian room there, you'd think they were all asleep but yeah, they're in worship. Just really dull people. And over there, that's the Baptists. Don't question what's in those closets...that's the beer stash of the former deacons but no one is supposed to know about it. And right there, where you hear all that racket, that's the Pentecostals. As wild as they were down there."
    Then he arrives at the last room. "Shhhhhhhh," he tells those in his group. "Inside this room is the Church of Christ folk. They think they're the only ones up here."

4. RickStain

My father is a Pentecostal minister who grew up in the Church of Christ. He framed his formal letter of ex-communication and keeps it on his wall next to his ordination.

5. printdust

printdust New Member

My dad was on the table, one unresponsive shock from the cooler. And he's told me of a light that was growing nearer.

The thing about heaven seems to be that even the weakest of believers..(re: Hollywood folk giving wordspeak) is that they sense they'll see the departed again.

When my pop died, the preacher told the funeral gathering of a story my dad had told him when on a work assignment in Arizona and some of the guys including his roommate all went for some hookers. The next day they asked him, "Why do you do what you do? Look at all the fun you're missing." My dad said "I dont' think I've missed out on much of anything. I've lived a pretty faithful life and it's been great." One asked, "Well what if you're wrong about this stuff? Don't you think you've wasted a lot of time." He said, "No, I still am happy with my life." Then he leaned over to the guy and said, "What if your'e wrong?"

6. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

This is the thing. If you believe, and those beliefs prove out, the reward is eternal and undeniable. If you're wrong, well, then you've lived a good life.

Where, really, is the down side?

Churches, as buildings and community guideposts, are dying because the real "churches" -- the people -- lack commitment, and because people, for the most part, don't care about anyone but themselves.

Besides the basic religious tenets that albert77 mentioned and in which he has lost faith, another one is the almost universal rule of religions that people should, and even must, look outside of themselves and care for others.

It takes a lot for someone to go out of their way for someone else. That's why few people do it -- I'd bet that there are few people on here who even telephone, let alone go visit in person, their own parents even once a week, so how much are people willing to do unto others considered less pivotal to their lives? Almost nothing.

Well, "church" cannot survive that attitude and approach of "What's in it for me?," because it's not about any "me."

7. RickStain

That's a terrible argument.

I'm going to found a religion based around hedonism, and if you don't follow your immediate instincts in all situations, you get sent to Triple Hell. That's *three times* as bad as regular Hell.

Sure, it may be a load of BS, but can you really afford to risk it? What if you are wrong?

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

What's the down side?

Hope you pick the right god!

9. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Almost all religions include among their basic tenets the ideas of bettering yourself through focusing on others, and, in general, being a good/better person.

Given that, it may not matter which God you choose. I don't believe that, but most religions are similar in those ways.

10. RickStain

That's a bit Western centric. Almost all Western religions? Sure.

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

It matters in Christianity. Accept the Lord Jesus Christ as your savior or burn in eternal hell.

Stick to the Golden Rule, you don't need most of the other stuff.

Draft saved Draft deleted