1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'Americans can't stay off the Internet, even when driving'

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Nov 12, 2013.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I can't say it enough: We are headed for some sort of reckoning when it comes to our national - nay, our global - Internet addiction. (And I am obviously as guilty as anyone else.)

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/national/2013/11/americans-cant-stay-internet-even-while-driving/71490/

From the story:

* 24 percent of Americans browse the Internet while driving.
    * Among people ages 18-29, the number is 49 percent.
    * 70 percent of people ages 18-29 text while driving.

Seriously, when none of us can drive without having to check, check, check, check, check what else is going on in the world via our device, we need to take a very long look at where we are as a society and how we're handling technology.

2. Morris816

Morris816 Member

I've read about how vehicles have been designed to now allow you to connect to social media while you are driving. It's supposed to be similar to hands-free phone calls in which you either speak or push a button on the steering wheel.

Still, Whitman's point is well taken. The fact so many people are texting while driving is troubling. And really, whatever happened to just listening to the radio while driving to work? Isn't satellite radio enough for people who wants to keep tabs on what's going on? Where is it written that the Internet has to be the source we must get our info from?

I'm somebody who admittedly spends more time on the Internet than I should, yet even I find it's actually good to get away from it for a while and that I don't need to stay in touch with the whole world wherever I go. Driving is one of the times when I'd rather not be on social media or the Internet and spend more time admiring the sights along the way or just relaxing — and most of all, paying attention to the road if I'm the one behind the wheel.

3. Dick Whitman

We've got a huge attention span problem developing, I think, and this is evidence of that. I've caught myself on the iPhone just checking, checking, checking ... when I finally catch myself and just stuff it in a drawer somewhere. A lot of people are just finding it more and more difficult to be alone with their thoughts for any length of time. We need something new and shiny and rewarding ... now!

Caroline Tell writes a lot about these issues for the New York Times.

Here's a recent one on how people have no qualms about canceling social plans via text, even at the last minute:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/28/fashion/let-your-smartphone-deliver-the-bad-news.html

Here's another one about how people are doing what I talked about with the sock drawer put-away:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/22/fashion/step-away-from-the-phone.html

I don't know that I could ever ban devices entirely from the bedroom, though, because I get my newspaper on my Kindle Paperwhite. It is completely awesome to grab it from the nightstand at 4 a.m. and be able to scan the day's headlines before my workout.

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Things that make you go Hmmmmmmmm

5. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

I just finished a safety meeting where we had a guest speaker who was 24 years in accident reconstruction and a general expert on driving.

He said that studies show that distracted driving is the equivalent of .08 impairment. Ther was a cite in his presentation but I missed it.

In BC the accident rate has gone up since distracted driving laws went into effect. It is being suggested that this is because drivers are holding their phones lower so they look away from the road longer.

This saftey expert said that distracted driving will be as big of an issue as drunk driving.

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Driving is boring.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

If you can't drive with one finger on the steering wheel, a cup of coffee between your legs and text with your free hand, you aren't doing it right...

I think we're not too far away from distracted driving killing more people than drunk driving.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Crashes are pretty damn exciting. :eek: :eek:

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The bells are rattling off in zag's cave as we speak.

10. Dick Whitman

Texting and driving is one thing. OK, you're communicating with someone. Maybe even at a stoplight.

"Get milk, honey."

But surfing the Internet while driving.

I don't get it. Nobody seems to know anything about current events in America. We hear about that constantly. And yet they are constantly on the Internet, even while driving. We should be the most informed nation in history.

11. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

OK, that made me laugh.

12. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

We are more than informed though, where our facebook friends had happy hour last night.

Draft saved Draft deleted