1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

American workers not "best in the world." In fact, we're actually kind of bad.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Oct 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Granted, the time frame when I was dealing with these folks was a pre-smart phone age, but I'm still not convinced it would help some of them.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

This is a threadjack to the overall point, but computer programming is very easily outsourced. Was just talking about this with a friend who is in semiconductor manufacturing. I was telling him I think my son will end up going into software/programming, and he suggested we steer him toward hardware/materials because that can't be outsourced as easily. But in programming, yeah, you're competing against the entire world with no geographical or language restraints.

3. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

I don't know. American manufacturing has had such a prolonged death knell over the last few decades that it might have scared off an entire generation. Sure, some bank tellers are gone but a lot of Rust Belt cities these days (to make the most pretentious metaphor this week) are living monuments to a post-Industrial Age. It's as if... uh, downtown Newark was dotted with graves of bank employees fallen to the forces of new technology.

4. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I expect better from a man of your searing intellect, Dick.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Trolly troll troll.

6. YankeeFan

Of course it can be. But, tech companies are begging for more H-1B visas in order to bring in more developers, engineers and programmers.

We're trying to bring in these folks from India, not send jobs there.

And, it's a true skill. If you're better at it than other, you will be in demand.

Basic programming jobs can be outsourced easily. If all you aspire to is to learn basic skills, don't go into programming. If you can be really good at it, you'll never lack a job.

7. 3_Octave_Fart

You're the troll around here, Dick, and everyone knows it.

8. Dick Whitman

Troll.

9. 3_Octave_Fart

Fraud.
    Poseur.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

And that's because American companies want to pay rates of indentured servitude, about a third of what they'd have to pay American workers. There's no shortage of workers in those jobs. There's a shortage of workers who want to work for the rates that a young Indian male with no family will accept just to get over here.

Anyway we are getting really off the point of the article now, but that H1B thing is rich companies crying poor.

11. Dick Whitman

Troll.

12. YankeeFan

Well, that goes to the heart of the immigration debate. Immigrants will pick lettuce longer and cheaper than natives too.

But, big companies are poaching the best programmers from one another. They are paying big salaries and bonuses to the best programmers. And, many of the graduates from India's top schools to have better skills than the average American programmer. That they're willing to work harder, longer, and cheaper is a bonus.

And, if it was so easy to simply outsource these jobs, we wouldn't need visas for them. We'd just have them stay where they are.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.