1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

American League Rookie of the Year

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Nov 12, 2006.

?

The award will be announced Monday - who do you think deserves it?

1. Jonathan Papelbon Red Sox

8 vote(s)
    16.3%
  2. Justin Verlander Tigers

26 vote(s)
    53.1%
  3. Kenji Johjima Mariners

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  4. Francisco Liriano Twins

11 vote(s)
    22.4%
  5. Jared Weaver Angels

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  6. Nick Markakis Orioles

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  7. Melky Cabrera Yankees

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  1. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Liriano was the BEST pitcher in baseball for a significant portion of the season.

Verlander faded, but still pitched, and you have to credit him for that.

Papelbon should finish behind both of them, whatever order 1-2 goes.

2. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Wasn't Weaver just the 2nd half version of Liriano's first half? I vote Verlander-Liriano-Weaver, with Papelbon having the greatest season ever to be left off a ballot, but going into next year, Weaver's the one I want.

3. loveyabye

loveyabye Guest

Yay me!
    http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2660401

" Verlander, a right-hander, was a runaway winner in the American League over Boston pitcher Jonathan Papelbon. "

4. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Wow. Verlander was placed first on 26 of the 28 ballots.

5. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Wow. Johjima placed higher than Weaver. A sign that some writers are idiots.

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Another sign is Papelbon ahead of Liriano, but whatever.

Verlander deserved it. Didn't think it would be that decisive, though.

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Verlander's the only one that went the whole season. This can't be much of a surprise.

Even though Papelbon pitched plenty of the season to be a real candidate, "shutting him down" is not a phrase associated with award winners. Liriano and Weaver suffered from the same concept: just weren't around long enough.

The Johjima vote, however, was completely foolish.

8. KP

KP Active Member

Who picked Markakis as ROY? If any position player deserved (and he wouldn't have been in my top 3), but Melky Cabrera would have been highest for me. Stabilized one of the corner OF spots while Yanks battled big injury problems.

Six Marlins got at least 1 point.

9. WSKY

WSKY Member

I got a Verlander to sign hat (no I was not working at the time) this summer at a Oakland game, should I sell it on ebay? How much should I start bid at? $6.59?

10. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Markakis out-hit Cabrera. I'm surprised you're the first one to mention Markakis to be honest. Look up his numbers. He sucked ass for two months and then did a complete 180. Played a good RF, has a really good arm, and by the end of the year was hitting .300. He's a future all-star. No way would I say Cabrera is.

11. KP

KP Active Member

My point about Cabrera was he stepped in when Matsui went down and helped them avoid going into a total nosedive. In the end, I agree, Markakis will be a better player. Just thought Cabrera helped the Yanks win a division title, while Markakis helped the O's to their annual fourth place finish. My judgment may also be clouded by the Red Sox fan in me, Cabrera had the better numbers against the Sox.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

Yeah, you were the only one who foresaw that.

Draft saved Draft deleted