1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

American League MVP

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by PhilaYank36, Sep 5, 2007.

?

Who should get it?

1. Alex Rodriguez, 3B (NYY)

10 vote(s)
    83.3%
  2. Magglio Ordonez, OF (DET)

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  3. Vladimir Guerrero, OF (LAA)

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  4. Ichiro Suzuki, OF (SEA)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. David Ortiz, DH (BOS)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Generally, I believe the averages are based on a player's position, not a place in the lineup.

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Stats are merely a way to rationalize a subjective conclusion

3. IGotQuestions

IGotQuestions Member

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies and statistics."

4. LiveStrong

LiveStrong Active Member

I like BABIP.

5. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

OK, the votes have been reset & will be done so after the last game. I will be stunned beyond belief if anyone other than A-Rod gets this. The Tigers are fading fast, as are Magglio Ordonez's chances. Vlad Guerrero has the misfortune of playing in the wrong time zone, though he is the only bat in the Angels' lineup that intimidates you. Ichiro & the S.S. Mariners have fallen off the wayside.

The only other legitimate contender is David Ortiz. People are saying his numbers are down, but I'd take these numbers (thru Monday) any day: .322/31/106; hit .311 or better in every month; save April (.297), higher average (.332 - .314) and OPS (1.090 - .990) in second half vs. first; and is batting well over .300 with runners on, RISP, RISP w/ 2 out and with the bases loaded. He's also been battling a balky knee that forced him to alter his stance AND has been without the protection of "Mindless" Manny Ramirez for quite some time. Unfortunately, he's doing this in a year were the unthinkable has happened: Alex Rodriguez has basically carried the Yankees for the entire season.

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Vlad's not in the wrong time zone -- he's already won an MVP with the Angels. What he also has is plenty of help in front of him. Chone is hitting .409 since June 1, Cabrera is also blowing up and Garret is leading the AL in RBI since the break. ... And yet, Vlad's more dangerous than all of them.

7. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

Forgot about '04. I've tried to block that entire year out of my memory. But you're on to something: where are the Angels without Vlad? That said, I'm still voting for Rodriguez (I'm sick of calling him A-Rod).

8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Rodriguez ... is a no-brainer here.

9. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

A-Rod. Nothing's changed since last time.

10. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Rodriguez in a landslide.

Draft saved Draft deleted