1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

American League MVP

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by PhilaYank36, Sep 5, 2007.

?

Who should get it?

1. Alex Rodriguez, 3B (NYY)

10 vote(s)
    83.3%
  2. Magglio Ordonez, OF (DET)

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  3. Vladimir Guerrero, OF (LAA)

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  4. Ichiro Suzuki, OF (SEA)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. David Ortiz, DH (BOS)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

Here's Jayson Stark's article breaking down the races, which also gives some good stats, too:
    http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=stark_jayson&id=3002888

In any other year, I'd vote for Ordonez, but I can't stop thinking A-Rod on this. Raw numbers aside, the reason why I believe Rodriguez deserves it is because he has actually delivered in pressure situations (so far) this season, his defense is far better than last year's atrocity, and he's pretty much kept his mouth shut (unless north of the border).

JUST FYI: I'll be resetting the vote in a couple weeks because it's almost certain that things will change by then.

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I voted Alex Rodriguez because I can.

3. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

ARod and Ordonez are definitely 1-2. Magglio is having a great year, but it's hard to ignore someone who probably will have 140 runs, 55 homers and 150 RBIs and a .310 batting average for a team that's going to fight its way into the postseason. Not to mention he has an outside shot at 30 stolen bases.

4. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Vlad has carried a team with little offensive punch around him and he's killed the other teams in the AL West.

5. LiveStrong

LiveStrong Active Member

It's A-Rod and I don't think it's close (as much as I root against him).

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Provided the Yanks win the WC, it's ARod in a walk.

7. pallister

pallister Guest

ARod in a rout. The Tigers' tankjob is ruining any chance Magglio had.

8. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

A-Rod will win, for obvious reasons: Stats and he's a Yankee.

That said, I think Big Papi has been most valuable to his team. Incredibly clutch. And the BoSox are up by what - 5-6 games?

9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

The Angels are 4th out of 14 AL teams in runs. I wouldn't call that "little offensive punch". He has killed the other AL west teams, though.

10. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

ARod is having one of the great offensive years of all time. He carried the Yankees during the first half when they couldn't get out of their own way; should they make the playoffs, he has to be the MVP.

11. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

I don't know the exact numbers, but I've been reading from many sources that Papi's "clutch" numbers, along with the HRs, are down this year. Not necessarily to a decline in skills, but to a bad right knee that forces him to have a more up-right stance, which creates a hole in his swing.

12. Gold

Gold Active Member

A-Rod will likely be the first right-handed batter to hit 50 home runs for the Yankees. A righthanded batter hitting 50 home runs and his home park is Yankee Stadium. Think about that.

Without A-Rod, the Yankees wouldn't be much over .500.

Draft saved Draft deleted