1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

American Idol

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Yawn, Feb 7, 2007.

1. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

Blake Lewis and Chris Sligh were only halfway decent, but the rest were truly awful.

And Chris didn't help himself with his smartass comment to Simon.

Going out on a limb...the winner this year will be a girl.

2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

That exchange at the end was hilarious. As if I needed any more reason to like Simon on that show.

Good to see Chris and Blake do well tonight. And I like Brandon, the backup singer, too. Tomorrow it's all about the other backup singer for me.

3. Agreed, partly because he didn't do the beatbox ...

4. boots

boots New Member

Sundance has talent. He just picked the wrong son. Sanjaya is, in my opinion, not as good as his sister. His voice is light and he too sang the wrong song.
    I am in total agreement with Simon. He hit the nail on the head on all of his observations. Was he crass? Yes, but he was accurate.
    From what I've seen, and I do have a musical background, the BEST talent is a young lady from New York. She's the heavy-set African American woman who sang Aretha Franklin. Watch her. She's got what it takes. The style. The delivery. The pitch. The tone. She's got star quality and the boots seal of approval.

5. jimnorden

jimnorden Member

I wish people would stop watching this crap so it would go away. All this show does is produce zeroes who spend their careers annoying the masses during pregame and halftime shows.

6. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Maybe, but those zeroes did compel you to post on an American Idol thread. :D

7. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

I still think Sundance is going to be there at the end. Needs to lose the suit, but he's got talent.

Unlike about three-fourths of the guys who have made it this far.

Idol does have diversity with this cast of characters.

Diversity of crap.

What a bunch of wimpy, safe choices the guys made. And if you're gonna pick a safe, bland song, at least do something with it to demonstrate you have more range than William Hung.

8. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I saw two performances on my JetBlue flight last night: Jared Cotter (who is QUICKLY in the running to become my legal version of Jenry) and the little guy (AJ?) who danced around and did the Luther song. Loved Cotter, not crazy about AJ.

I still have three audition shows, Hollywood week and last night to watch. I'll be caught up in ... oh, May.

9. boots

boots New Member

Did anyone notice that Ryan thanked J and Paula but didn't thank Simon. I thought Simon was right on the money with everything he said.

10. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

Yes, I noticed. It goes back to the part about Ryan being a whiny little bitch. Simon was harsher that I would have been in some cases, but the truth is there weren't many things to be positive about from those performances. I think Simon hit too close to home when he told Ryan, "Unlike you, I respect the audience at home." Zing!!!

11. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I think Idol-- and the country-- is finally tapped out on the big talent.

When they put thru some little dude who's auditioned 5 times-- and he's one of the best-- then you know there's trouble.

I thought last night sucked. Soooooo disappointing. Outside of Season 1, I've never called the show a karyoke-fest until last night.

The only decent performances were Blake Lewis, Cotter, and A.J. Everybody else was solid cheez whiz.

Regarding Sligh: He sounded contemporary, but if you go back and watch it again, he "talks" his way thru that song. And if he's going to do like, I don't know, a Killers - type sound, is that going to work? I mean, he's like the Pilsbury Dough Boy trying to do The Killers.

Lewis and Cotter are really the only ones of this group to have a command of the stage. Cotter is very sexy. He's one of the few this season who doesn't give off a gay vibe. Not that there's anything wrong with that -- I'm just talking about who would be attractive to the female audience.

---------------

As for the girls tonight -- Jersey girl is gorgeous... that's pretty much all I remember about this seemingly generic group.

Is Idol finally jumping the shark??

12. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I'm glad we agree on this topic. :D

Draft saved Draft deleted