1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

American Idol

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Yawn, Feb 7, 2007.

1. loveyabye

loveyabye Guest

Any word on what the theme is next week? Brandon deserved to go, just like Haley and of course, Sanjaya.

2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Brandon showed so much promise at his first audition. I can't believe how progressively worse he got each week.

3. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Is there really any doubt that the top four will be the ladies minus Haley and Gina? Or that the top two will be Lakisha and Melinda?

4. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Taylor Hicks made some very disparaging comments about the show in the offseason, so it appears AI has made Chris Daughtry the de-facto Idol. ;D

I'll go back to what I said a few weeks ago: There's a talent drain this year. Last year's Top 12 was so much more solid.

----------

shockey:

The Idol contestants are repped by CKX -- the same folks who now claim to "own" the name Muhammad Ali. They also rep Becks. I have friends who've dealt with CKX. Good luck with that....

----------

Montezuma:

I'm gonna disagree on the theme weeks. I think part of the fun, or the train-wreck aspect of the show, is finding out what Diana Ross thinks of Blake Lewis... or watching Lakisha interact with Bono, etc.

5. Lugnuts

Yeah, I think there is some question. Because people were saying the same thing a few years ago: "Is there any doubt the final 3 will be Fantasia, Jennifer Hudson, and LaToya London?"

That's another reason this show is so great. It opens up all kinds of dialogue about larger issues like race, music, taste, culture... why we Americans are the way we are....

6. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

Well, Lugs, you're just wrong. ;)

I don't think the theme weeks are evil per se.

But Diana Ross? One thing that show illustrated is how poorly her songs hold up over time -- and how girly girl they were. Hey, these guys are a bunch of hacks, no doubt, but I defy somebody like Bono or Springsteen to make anything out of that dreck, either.

I'm not hugest fan of, say, Barry Manilow, but at least he did stuff that transcends gender.

I'd love to see it if they could ever have a Beatles week, or a Rolling Stones week, or hell, a Fleetwood Mac or Eagles or Billy Joel week. People who have wider body of work to give the singers something to work with.

7. Lugnuts

They did a Billy Joel week in Season 2. Clay Aiken hit it out of the park, as I recall, with "Tell Her About It."

You're right, though. Some weeks flop. And alot of times, when it flops, it makes you appreciate the original artist even more.

8. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I thought that the best theme week was Manilow, because he seemed to really care about making the performers better and offered useful tips. I thought that Diana Ross, between the plastic surgeries and the soft camera focus, did a nice job of damning a lot of the performers with very faint praise.

9. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I heart you.

Manilow really got it, helped with the arrangements, the whole shebang. And he really did seem like he gave a shit, which is more than I can say about most of these people.

They got him once, can they do it again category: I'd LOVE to see a Prince week. How much would Blake rock at "Kiss?"

10. Lugnuts

YES -- Great point.

11. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

Yeah, there is. I really think Melinda will end up being the Chris Daughtry of this season. I think people will get comfortable, figure she has it locked, and quit voting for her. She'll be out when everyone least expects it, especially when she does a great job. It will be one of those lull weeks when either, schools are hosting finals so people aren't watching, or the normal lull of the season... about the 5th or 6th person to be voted off.

We were listening to the group song yesterday while not paying attention and Jordin, Stephanie, Lakisha, and Melinda sounded exactly alike. That's why I think they won't be the final four. What fun is a final four that sounds exactly alike?

12. Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano Member

I found myself watching last night only to see if Sanjaya make it another week. It is like a car wreck....I just could not look away. He actually looks like he wanted to have the misery over.

Draft saved Draft deleted